Shadrach's Lamps

Pics
It's been raining and I am now officially on a mission!
I've become a bit obsessed with this sculpture.:oops:
On my table here it looks gorgeous to my eyes. Lots of interesting curves and lots of colour.
One of the criteria was that the sculpture should be easy to touch and preferably portable.
I'm going to dowel the base rather than screw the main body to it so the sculpture itself can be removed. The large crack in the base is going to stay open, ie, unfilled.
I'm just about there with the shape now. I still have to slope two angle into the top but otherwise it's about filling and finishing now. Not too many dents and dinks to attend to thankfully but shapes like these are hard on the hands when sanding.
P7074102.JPG
P7074103.JPG
P7074104.JPG
P7074106.JPG
P7074107.JPG
P7074108.JPG
P7074109.JPG
P7074110.JPG

A few more hours of sanding and scraping and I get to apply the first oil coat.
I do this after the last major shape changes and rough sanding. It helps show up all the little dinks and donks that need addressing and gives me an idea of the colours I can expect.
I like the base to this a lot. The piece was destined for the fire pile.:eek:
I've got a hidden carving to put in yet and the stud locators for the lamp body to base.
A few more days yet.

P7094111.JPG
P7094112.JPG
P7094113.JPG
P7094114.JPG
P7094116.JPG

I've mentioned a few times about having to scrap lamps because bits fell out or through some fault or other. Until now, all the lamps I've shown some of the stages of construction on, have gone relatively smoothly. This one hasn't.
I'm not sure what causes these defects. One might be tempted to think of wood worm or similar but there are often no obvious ingress and exit hole. The wood look fine for a while, sand a bit more and you get that warning patch you can see on the right of the keyhole shape. Sand a bit more and you'll likely find more. Sometimes I'm lucky and I can cut them out and not spoil the lamp. Sometimes I can incorporate the holes into an engraved section. I haven't even got to the bottom of this yet and it's already large and unsightly.
They do have to go. They wont sand, they sink and look like crap.
Given the extent of this patch in another lamp I would scrap this. I have no idea how deep it goes and the wood is already thin towards the left hand edge.
I could just dig the crap out and fill it with slate paste. The problem is, is if you look at the next pic you can see it extends into the hole. so whatever I filled it with would look like a patch.
I'm going to try and blend the crap out first. A bit like a bowl half using the smallest width pencil line.
If that doesn't work or look right, I'll cut deeper and bring the cut to the wider line and into the corner shown in the third picture put making the cut a full slope rather than bowl shaped.
P7094117.JPG
P7094118.JPG
P7094119.JPG

I've mentioned a few times about having to scrap lamps because bits fell out or through some fault or other. Until now, all the lamps I've shown some of the stages of construction on, have gone relatively smoothly. This one hasn't.
I'm not sure what causes these defects. One might be tempted to think of wood worm or similar but there are often no obvious ingress and exit hole. The wood look fine for a while, sand a bit more and you get that warning patch you can see on the right of the keyhole shape. Sand a bit more and you'll likely find more. Sometimes I'm lucky and I can cut them out and not spoil the lamp. Sometimes I can incorporate the holes into an engraved section. I haven't even got to the bottom of this yet and it's already large and unsightly.
They do have to go. They wont sand, they sink and look like crap.
Given the extent of this patch in another lamp I would scrap this. I have no idea how deep it goes and the wood is already thin towards the left hand edge.
I could just dig the crap out and fill it with slate paste. The problem is, is if you look at the next pic you can see it extends into the hole. so whatever I filled it with would look like a patch.
I'm going to try and blend the crap out first. A bit like a bowl half using the smallest width pencil line.
If that doesn't work or look right, I'll cut deeper and bring the cut to the wider line and into the corner shown in the third picture put making the cut a full slope rather than bowl shaped.
View attachment 2234923View attachment 2234925View attachment 2234926
I hope it behaves for you Shad. It looks like it might ruin your perfect circle. :(

Of course it might make it even more interesting and organic!:fl

Someone asked me if I made candle stick holders.
My elder sister sent me the glass wear. The stem was about twice as long with a tiny base.
Very elegant no doubt, but a bit of heavy breathing and they would fall over.
I altered them.:p
P7104128.JPG
P7104129.JPG
P7104130.JPG
P7104131.JPG

I used to make these. This is the last one I have now. They sold at the fairs but not at a price worth the effort. If I see a piece of wood ideal for one, I'll make one but as something to sell at fairs they are just not worth the time and effort. Two further problems are while my holes are round the pots rarely are. Now the person who made the pots isn't in the area due to going bust during lockdown.
P7104123.JPG

P7104124.JPG

P7104125.JPG

P7104126.JPG

P7104126.JPG

P7104127.JPG

Finally I think someone may be wondering if I've trashed the sculpture.:pop
It still lives.....just....
Doing this bit now.
P7104132.JPG

Back
Top Bottom