Shaking head and yawning

tjogowin

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Alvarado
My 5 year old, seemly healthy rooster is constantly shaking his head, scratching and yawning. He is eating and pooping ok, no mites, I don’t see anything down his throat. This has been going on for months. I’ve attached a picture and provided a YouTube video link of his behavior. Please watch the video.
Please any suggestions will be appreciated. He is the best rooster. His name is McCreamy.
3D7E6BCE-14E5-4FB4-897E-4599B38D52AE.jpeg
3D7E6BCE-14E5-4FB4-897E-4599B38D52AE.jpeg

He might have an ear infection; have a vet take a look at him if you can. Or, just roll the dice and quarantine him so you can dose him with antibiotics for 10 days.

Thank you so much for responding. There is only 1 vet in the area and she not taking new patients at this time. Your the second person that has said ear infection. Would you know which antibiotics to give him? I’m thinking amoxicillin. Again thank you

My 5 year old, seemly healthy rooster is constantly shaking his head, scratching and yawning. He is eating and pooping ok, no mites, I don’t see anything down his throat. This has been going on for months. I’ve attached a picture and provided a YouTube video link of his behavior. Please watch the video.
Please any suggestions will be appreciated. He is the best rooster. His name is McCreamy.
View attachment 2452989View attachment 2452989
I think he could have water in his ears or an ear infection like the other person said.

If you can't het him to a vet, have you examined his ears to see if they look inflamed inside, or maybe had discharge or mites?? Also, is his curious behavior limited to yawning and head shaking? Has he scratched at his ears?

Thanks for responding.
Question, could I put a drop or 2 of swimmers ear drops in his ear, then treat him with ear drops and antibiotics?
Look in them first, then come back and tell us if you found anything odd.
Might look at another birds ears for comparison.
How many months, 2, or 8, or ???
Does he do it constantly as shown in the vid....even when he's sleeping?

Look in them first, then come back and tell us if you found anything odd.
Might look at another birds ears for comparison.
How many months, 2, or 8, or ???
Does he do it constantly as shown in the vid....even when he's sleeping?
I’m not sure if he’s doing it on the roost, but when he’s taking a cat nap, he will jolt to shake his head. I’ll go down and look in a few hens ears. He’s been doing this a little over 3 months. But it’s getting more consistent over time.

If you can't het him to a vet, have you examined his ears to see if they look inflamed inside, or maybe had discharge or mites?? Also, is his curious behavior limited to yawning and head shaking? Has he scratched at his ears?
Thank you for responding I have not looked in his ears, but based on recommendations from several readers I’m going to check them with a few other hens to compare. He scratches, you can see the damage he is doing to his comb, those scabs are self inflicted. I don’t see any discharge nor mites.
Someone also suggested water on the ear, I’m wondering if I can put a drop or 2 of swimmers ear drops in each ear and follow it up with ear drops and antibiotics. We only have 1 vet in the area and she is not seeing new patients. So I have to figure this out with the help from people like you. Again thank you.

Back
Top Bottom