Shaking head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KalikoFarms, Dec 5, 2011.

1. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    We just purchased some Wheaten Marans and when they arrived one of the hens was dead. Since then the roo is excessively thirsty and keeps shaking his head back and forth is this something that I need to worry about or is it just from them being shipped? I have them seperate from the others but I would like to know what I should try and do if there is anything wrong. I have looke in the other places and couldnt find any with the symptoms of the roo. Any information would be helpful.
    thanks
    Rita

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Rita-

Sounds like your chickens had some really rough handling during shipping, with one dead and the roo shaking his head. It may be from a little bit of head trama, and hopefully it will pass.....

3. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks so very much I was afraid of some kind of disease or something.
    I will keep an eye on them thanks
    Rita

4. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    I'm not a vet and i'm not an chicken expert but my guess is that they have CRD (cronic respiratory disease) , bad businesss . When you see chickens at the auctions slinging their heads (shaking heads) get away from them and stay away from them .
    Since you got them there might be meds that can help or cure , but someone elseill need to supply that info .
    Best to you

Quote:

5. jh7192

jh7192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Taneytown MD
    Rita: You describe fairly classic signs of upper respiratory disease or sinusitis in birds. Is there any swelling beneath the eyes? Is the birds breathing normal? Can you hear any bubbling sounds or gurgling as the bird breathes? Any matter in the birds eyes?
    Assuming the bird has an upper respiratory condition it could be caused by any number of organisms or other problems. I suggest you take the bird to an avian veterinarian for a complete examination and diagnostic work-up.
    A definitive diagnosis is required prior to initiating any treatment. I suggest you stay away from over the counter medications. you do not know what the bird has and over the counter medication may aggravate the situation or you may lose time in beginning a truly viable treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by