Shall I be concerned?...

robopetz

Songster
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
Hawaii
Hi yall,

Just wondering?... Our lil Sophie has recenty been chirping like she has lost her voice. Its hard to explain but it sounds like someone trying to talk but lost their voice. She still can chirp but when she tries to chirp softly its as if nothing is coming out. Know what im trying to say??? I notice she still can breathe through her nostrils and she still has lots of energy and is able to eat and drink on her own. Heres some info to help you out for people who can give me some input. She is about 2-3 weeks old, a silkie bantam, she eats medicated chick starter feed, she has 100% natural wood pine thats cleaned and filtered (read this of the packaging) and her heating lamp. Oh, fresh water daily but at times some of the wood shavings get in her water till I notice it then change her water. Any more questions you may have please feel free to ask. I am concerned for her as she is our house pet. She already is super spoiled and loved by us already. I hate the thought of something happening to her.

Concerned parent, Rob.

Thank you in advance for your input!!!

Well there are respiratory illnesses chickens can get that cause them to sound hoarse. They are generally passed on from other chickens or carried in by wild birds. At her age and if she's not around other chickens and the fact that she lives in the house, I'd probably not suspect that just yet. Is she alone or do you have other chicks? I think, at this point, as long as she is active, eating and drinking normally, I'd just keep an eye on her. Although I'd really seriously consider one or two friends for her!

Thats what I was thinking. We have 4 budgies and a house cat. She is no where near them though. She has no contact to the outside just yet either. My budgies and that cat are just fine. I wish I could get other chick'ies but one is going to have to do for now. She is mostly in her brooder until she gets a lil older. Then I will be taking her out (still be indoors) to play and get exercise. The only "out" time she has not is in my hands or lap to cuddle and let her sleep to my warmth. I forgot to mention, Ive had pet chickens before and actually hatched them by eggs. Only noticed the odd chirping with lil Sophie though. I tried to get a silkie egg to hatch on my own but living in Hawaii they are hard to find. I was lucky to find a farm store here that just got a shipment of assorted chicks and found lil Sophie in that bunch. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom