shape of eggs

yogi

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
I have some hens which just started laying. Every once in awhile I get a small egg which is mis-shapen and has a crinkly shell. Is this an anomaly or is the hen defective and will always lay this type of egg?

That happens occasionally. The hen that laid it should not lay an odd egg regularly, and if she does that is very rare. I've had some very odd eggs before. Ones like you described, ones without shells so they are soft, ones that are very long, and one time I got an egg out of a standard chicken that was the size of a pigeon egg. It is normal for a hen to occasionally lay odd eggs. Make sure your hens are getting enough nutrition, especially calcium. Nutrition deficiency can often lead to hens lay eggs that are very fragile or odd shaped. I think age of the bird also plays a factor. Birds that just started laying and old laying hens tend to lay more odd eggs I think…not sure on that though(I know young birds though do tend to lay smaller eggs until they get fully mature, but they wouldn't be crinkily)…As long as you aren’t getting funky eggs often, I wouldn’t worry about it. Be sure to pitch the egg though since it won’t hatch if you tried and I don’t think it will work to well for eating (you can always try though if you want)...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom