share bad weeds

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by manybirds, Oct 3, 2011.

1. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I have a weed (i'll describe it later when I get a chance) and it is probably the worst thing that ever was. I can't seem to find it in books/online. Cant get rid of it (we even tryed weed killer). it sucks. if you have any ideas please tell me.

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Kind of a pretty weed for a weed. I have found that if you mow the annual weeds several times they die out especially before they bloom as they expell thier energy multiple times before they take nutrients back in to survive the dormant period.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:so THAT is what that stuff is.

It grows in my pasture, thank goodness my animals have not touched it

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    have you tried to torch it?

6. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:I don't think it would work. every little piece of the weed grows a new weed. we'll try though

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Bamboo is what I'm battling now.

Never ever plant bamboo. I know it is technically not a weed.

Could yours be morning glory? Not the kind that they sell seed packets for, but the "wild kind."

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A 'weed' is nothing more than a plant out of place. Bamboo can be a weed and a tenacious, difficult one at that. [​IMG]

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:People have cactus as house plants, orange trees etc but in some areas of the country its just some stuff that grows by the road side

10. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I consider oleanders and salt cedars to be weeds. Unfortunately the previous owners apparently LOVED them. I have not watered the oleanders in over 2 years, about 20 have died. A few weeks ago we got a really good rain and one of the big ones who is 3/4 dead had the nerve to bloom flowers! I mean really, can't they have the good graces to just die already? Other than Russian thistle (aka tumble weeds) I leave my yard with as much of the indigenous plant life as possible. Although I am considering removing the the Cholla (aka jumping cactus), I'm tired of picking it out of the dogs. You would think that they would have learned what it is by now, but apparently the temptation of a chipmunk or a squirrel defeats their common sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by