Share Pics of your Farm Dogs

i love the pictures ans seeing all of your furry and feathered "babies"
when i figure out how to do it i will post a picture of our chickie protector

Riley is an Australian Shepherd, 4 months old now. He's not trained enough to trust with the chickens yet, but we are hoping he'll live up to his name's meaning (valiant). We brought him home when he was 6 weeks old and oh so tiny...
3796_img_0176.jpg

3796_img_0231.jpg

3796_riley.jpg

3796_img_0413.jpg

3796_img_0394.jpg

Ginger is an Aussie as well. She has been around much longer than the chickens, so they are waaaay below her in the animal kingdom feudal system. They simply don't exist.
roll.png

3796_img_0151.jpg

3796_img_0069.jpg

3796_img_1636.jpg

3796_img_0530.jpg

3796_ginger5.jpg

And the two of them together (a very rare thing!). Believe it or not, Riley is just 4 months old. His feet are the same size as Ginger's. The vet says he's going to be a BIG dog.
3796_img_0393.jpg

Last edited:
Our Yellow Lab, Trigger (named for Roy Rogers horse), that we've had for over 7yrs now. Got him from the Humane Society when he was already 2yrs old - so that makes him just over 9yrs old now. We've only had the chickens since summer 2010. As far as we know, he's NEVER been around chickens before I brought our first girls home. No problems! They free-range around him all day long. He learned early on they lay yummy treats so he's bound and determined to keep them protected!! LOL

DSC_0091.jpg

And this is one of our two kitties, Tawnta (other is Smokey). We got him AFTER we got the chickens. He's been raised with them and will even sleep in their coop keeping the eggs warm for the broody hen while she goes to get something to eat or drink! LOL He's a great hunter tho' - awesome at keeping any mice out of the feed, getting rids of the moles who dig up our yard, and catching any (wild) birds who don't belong in his yard, but he won't mess with the chickens!
big_smile.png
[not a great pic of him, but I posted it so you can see the gals aren't afraid of him one iota!]

DSC_0101-1.jpg

Last edited:
Isaac and Eli are 5 months old now. Isaac has his very own ram and is doing wonderfully with him. Eli spends a good bit of his day with the chickens, in the pasture next to the sheep. So far both are fantastic with the livestock. They are Anatolian Shepherds. Isaac weighs 63 pounds now. He is going to be a seriously big dog!!

This is Isaac
Isaac5mths.jpg

And this is Eli.

eli5mths.jpg

IMG_1821Medium.jpg

Here are my farm dogs.

Here's Benidict, or Benny as most people call him. I'm not sure of his age, as he was a stray, but he's pretty young. I'm guessing he's still under eight years of age. Maybe....Anyways, he is a German Shepard Mix. Not sure what he's mixed with though, but he is definatly not a pure-bred GSP.
65682_july_pics_028.jpg

65682_july_pics_029.jpg

Here is Zoe dog, my cousins dog, who is partially ours as she hangs out around around our house all day.
tongue.png
We don't feed her though, my Uncle does, who lives next door. She is....I don't know her age either actually.
tongue.png
Zoe is a Chow/Lab mix, and is the sweetest dog ever!
wee.gif

65682_july_pics_030.jpg

And his is William Wallace, the *Cough*Stupid*Cough* Caryn Terrier my Mom owns.
roll.png
He's sweet at times, when he isn't rolling in Cow manure.
65682_august-september_pics_053.jpg

And here is Benny and Zoe, watching the chickens from outside the run....
65682_july_pics_021.jpg

Quote:
See that black spot on Zoe's tongue? that's a SURE sign of chow mix. She is really pretty though!

Not necessarily true. About the tongue, that is. She definitely IS pretty! Following quote from the web:

The Chow is NOT the only dog with a black tongue, I always argue with my aunt about this... the fact is all dogs have common ancestors and any dog can have a black tongue as long as they have the genes for it. Sometimes they have spotted tongues, or half black tongues etc.

The Truth About
Those Black Tongues

Does the black spot on your Labrador's tongue mean he's really a Chow mix? That mixed breed puppy in the shelter with a partially black tongue -- is that a sure sign he's part Chow? The answer to both questions is: No!

The Chow Chow's blue-black tongue is one of the breed's most well known physical characteristics. It's also the most misunderstood.

The Chow is one of the most ancient breeds and is the ancestor of many breeds of today. The orgin of the Chow's black tongue is a mystery; we don't know how or why he came to have it.

We do know that the Chow is not the only breed with a blue-black tongue. The Chinese Shar-Pei shares this trait as well. A few other animals have black tongues, too: the giraffe, polar bear, and several breeds of cattle including the Jersey.

We also know that blue-black spots on tongues are very common in dogs - more than 30 pure breeds are known to have members with spotted tongues.

Spots on tongues are simply deposits of extra pigment, like birthmarks and freckles on people. Dogs often have spots of dark pigment on their skin, too, hiding under their coats. These spots can be large or small, many or few.

Source(s):

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/blackton…

Back
Top Bottom