Share Pics of your Farm Dogs

n0ZOX.jpg

Here is my pack.

We have Flash the Basset Hound. My husband told me when I rescued her off the back of a truck, covered in fleas, with a bad skin infection, that I could only keep her if I named her Flash...she has lived up to her namesake's reputation.

Flash2.jpg

This is how she usually looks. I don't know she likes sleeping on shelves, but she does. The most activity you usually see out of her is when she is pushing things off of a shelf, so she can lay on it.

Flash3.jpg

This is Dapple Dan. I adopted him from a high kill shelter that I volunteer at. He is deaf and nearly blind, but is one of the best dogs I've ever owned. We've considered vesting him as a therapy dog for my special needs daughter. Nothing calms her down like Dan. He is wonderful, despite the fact that he has been mistaken as a possum a time, or two. He is beautiful on the inside and beautiful on the outside...if you look at him long enough.

Dan.jpg

This is Duke. We adopted him and his sidekick, Daisy, Saturday. They are working out beautifully. I'm so glad we took a chance at adopting an adult instead of buying from a breeder. We went back and forth, but this was certainly the best choice we could have made!

MountainsSeptember381.jpg

This is Daisy.
MountainsSeptember393.jpg

Last edited:
What a great thread, I love it! My "farm" dogs are Chinese Cresteds; one powder puff and two hairy hairless. They love our chickens and even speak the language! They know the difference between "look what I found!" and "hawk!!!" They learned bird from my macaw and jump into action when they hear the alarm call. A few weeks ago they chased a fox off when the chickens were looking for bugs in the woods. When the girls were chicks my powder puff, Versace was obsessed with them and would follow them everywhere. He loved to lay in the shade when it was hot and watch them peck around in the leaves. One day I couldn't find the chickens or Sachi and after looking all over the woods I went to the coop to check in there. Imagine my complete shock when I found this! He actually followed them up on the roost! Really need to get him into agility!
44342_sachi_on_roost_and_chickens_-_6-7-11_028.jpg

44342_bcms_with_sachi_5-30-11_039.jpg

Sachi guarding his babies.
44342_jimmy_and_fbcms.jpg

Jimmy keeping an eye on things.
44342_double_yolkers_014.jpg
44342_flower021-1.jpg

Vera Wang and Jimmy Choo chillin' out after a hard day watching for fox and hawks.

They may be "fru fru" farm dogs, but they sure help me keep the chickens safe. I love my little ones, all adopted through rescue groups. I also have to include pictures of my two wonderful, dearly departed and very missed previous dogs, little Cozette who was a Schnoodle, and Otis, aka Boogyman or Big O, who was a Dogue de Bordeaux.
44342_amy_and_brians_vacation_273.jpg

mobbs001.jpg

8lbs of sheer chicken herding, predator scaring fuzz. Ruby is a chihuahua/terrierX. She can herd up those free ranging chickens (who outweigh her by twice) like a pro.
love.gif

Quote:
Here is my 15yo pug cross, who is our main barn dog. He is crossed with a Norweigen Bruhund, which no one has heard of, but it looked a little like a larger chi.
He is mostly deaf and blind, but gets around fine. If he loses track of where he is, he just stops and waits for someone to come get him.
30736_barn_background_016.jpg
[/img]
And, our chocolate lab Bear - a good trail dog - he is huskier now, he was pretty young in the photo:
30736_horsebear.jpg
[/img]
and our small emergency backup Corgi, Wyatt:
30736_wyatt5mos.jpg
[/img]

Chickmate, I am sooo jealous! What wonderful Cresteds! One day I am going to have a powderpuff!
fl.gif

Here are my two. My Rough Collie, Rocket, I thought would not be good with the chickens but he is their staunch defender! If he is in the house and they start making a certain noise he gets really upset and must go charging out to protect them from all harm. He is really a surprise as he turns out to be much more of a collie than some of his behavior indicates. Lol!

35736_dscf2980.jpg

Diesel on the other hand is well... Diesel. His looks could be intimidating to a predator I guess... Or perhaps if he came bounding up to play he could scare someone to death! He is about 155 lbs and mostly I'm just glad he doesn't really want to play with the chickens!

35736_dscf2309.jpg

They are both really nice companions, pretty easy to live with and adorable ( IMHO!)
love.gif

... Oh yeah, Amcanyonstables, I've heard of a Norwegian Buhund! but then, I'm even crazier for dogs than I am for chickens!
lol.png

Here are my two: Abby - Bossy Sheltie extrodinare, who keeps order amongst the kittys, chooks and ducks and is teaching Ruby the fine art of chasing squirrels and predators.
lol.png
And Ruby - English Shepherd cross w/some type of sight hound who is a frisbee fanatic. Whoever controls the frisbee... controls Ruby!
That's a chocolate pied Scovy hen foraging behind Abby there. And you can just see our cat, Otis, hanging out in the grass back to the right of Ruby.

4725_p1130060.jpg

Abby doing what she does and loves best. Watching over ducklings and broody ducks.
4725_p1120718.jpg

And watching the woods treeline for .... you guessed it... Squirrels!
4725_p1130045.jpg

Ruby doing what she loves best.... shortly after we adopted her 8 mo. ago. RUN, RUN RUBY!!!! She ruuuuns, catching & rtning a few miles a day... easy... for her. She needs at least 1hr a day of running to keep her happy.
tongue.png

4725_p1100696a.jpg

Taking a break & guarding her always nearby frisbee.
4725_p1140203.jpg

Abby takes life seriously and loves nothing better than working...unless it's barking and chasing squirrels. Ruby, on the other hand, is a big GOOF, and doesn't take life very seriously at all... much to the disgust of Abby...
lol.png
Ruby is spooky smart though, .... & does have Abby's back when it comes to predators (coyotes in particular) outrunning Abby in a heartbeat... which is why we adopted/needed her in the first place.

Quote:
This breed is my favorite of all dogs: Blue heeler or Red heeler
We had one of both and since have passed away. They were both wonderful dogs and I bet they would of been great with our chickens.
Your's is very pretty and love the pic of the pups. We had pups out of ours too only they looked like dalmatian pups when they were that age since they were full blood heelers. What breed is your pups?

Back
Top Bottom