Share weird guinea stories here!

I'm considering hatching some guinea eggs but then I look at my guineas and think, who would ever want these crazy things.
Today I drove up the lane and when I glanced in the sideview mirror, there's a guinea running like mad following the car -- does he really think he's "chasing" the big huge car away??
lau.gif

Have you ever tried to drive a car with a guinea standing in front when you want it to get out of the way? They don't respond like "normal birds"... they usually stare, then charge my car, then run away in single file, screaming meemies all the way.

My favorite thing is to see their little heads, in a row, bobbing up and down in the tall pasture grass... they seem so excited and happy looking and exploring everywhere. Their favorite thing to do!

So does anyone here name their guineas? Mine are TweedleDee and TweedleDum...for obvious reasons!
gig.gif
LOL! Haven't named the younger one, yet. I was going to name TweedleDum, Slider, because she doesn't just stop walking, she slides like a baseball player. But, TweedleDum fits her better. She's the really dumb one!
th.gif

Shelly

We've name our 4 guineas and chose African names that mean pretty/beautiful for the girls and "one who loves" for the male as he just loves my son.

Quote:
You mean your guineas let you hold them???
th.gif
I decided yesterday I was going to pick up my male, and was shocked at how strong he was! I like the African name theme. Maybe I will "borrow" that idea for the little one. She needs a name.

Shelly

28423_122.jpg

My son with his favorite boy Mwenda meaning " one who loves"

We also have:
Halili meaning "beloved"
Remba meaning ""beautiful"
Zera meaning " beauty"

Thanks for the pic! I'd have never believed it if I hadn't seen it! LOL! Beautiful guinea...is that a lavender? I handled mine when they were babies, but once they started getting their grown-up feathers, forget it!
hit.gif

Shelly

Quote:
Yes, he is a lavender. We have another female lavender and 2 pearl grey females. Have a few eggs that hopefully will be hatching in bator this weekend. And another 20 or so in a nest. Can't wait to see what their babies will be like.

Quote:
Thank you, my son is now 13, he was 12 in the picture, and I can't believe how much he has changed. Yes the guineas are a 4-H project. We joined after we got the keets. Then my youngest got ducks and now my oldest who has joined 4-H yet, who is 15 just got his chicks.

Chickenannie: Not sure about how to tame, but animals especially birds just seem to love my son. He does handle them alot. And of course they love treats, lettuce, tomatoes, millet. But mostly just a lot of handling.

Back
Top Bottom