Share Your Chicken Broth Recipes

Ridgerunner

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
Someone asked for my chicken broth recipe so I thought I'd start a thread so I can link to it and post mine. Hopefully others will share theirs or people can ask questions.

When I butcher a chicken I cut it into serving pieces, the breast, wishbone, thighs, and drumsticks. These are for the table. I save separately the back, neck, wings, gizzard, heart, and legs for broth.

Yes I know where the feet have been. I scald them by dropping them in boiling water for 15 seconds, then cooling them. The claws and spur twist off and the skin peels pretty easily. If you scald them too long you cook the skin and it is a pain to get off as it shreds. This gets the feet clean enough for me. I split the gizzard and rinse it well but do not peel it.

When I cook the serving pieces I save the bones in the freezer in a gallon zip-loc bag. When that bag is full I put the bones covered in water in a crock pot on low overnight, say 14 to 18 hours. I strain that liquid and save it. I freeze it if I'm not using it in a day or two. Those bones are now tossed.

When I’m ready to make the broth I put the frozen broth parts from butchering, a Bay leaf and a dozen peppercorns, some veggies like carrot, celery, onion, and garlic plus some herbs like basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, or chives (whatever you feel like) in a large crock pot. In season my herbs are fresh from the garden but otherwise I use dried. No two batches are the same as I never measure and use whatever is available. I add the saved bone water (if available) plus top it off with regular water to cover everything. Then I cook this in the crock pot on low overnight, 14 to 18 hours.

I strain the broth through a wire mesh colander to separate out the bits from the liquid. I pick through these bits to remove the meat. Be careful as there can be some small bones. That cooked flavored meat is good for tacos, chicken salad, soups or stews, or sandwiches.

While I’m picking the meat I de-fat the liquid using one of those de-fatting cups with the rubber cork in the spout.

Fat Sep.jpg

I strain that de-fatted liquid through several layers of cheesecloth to get some nice clear liquid. Now it is ready to pressure can or freeze. I pressure can mine.

Broth.JPG

Back
Top Bottom