Share your Compost Container pics!

found it................. this is what I used.

http://dixiegrilling.com/tumbler.htm

I chose this way because my barrel had a nice solid lid. It didn't make sense to me to turn the barrel horizontal and cut a door into the side of it.

This guy also used the same plans, but modified them for a double setup. I really like the way it turned out. If I can find the room, maybe I'll do the same.

http://www.buildegg.com/bewp/?p=127

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, "lazy." The pallets I have were all built locally and none of the wood is pressure treated. What would the problem be if it were? Do the chemicals used in PT interfered with the decomp in some way?

Pressure treated wood is impregnated with arsenic. Arsenic is poison to us, wild and domestic animals and fish, bugs and microbes. You really don't want your compost exposed to it which in turn can expose any plants that you or your animals might consume. You can read more about arsenic in pressure treated wood at the EPA's web site. http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/reregistration/cca/cca_consumer_safety.htm

Pressure treated wood typically has dimples or long lines imbedded into the surface making it somewhat easy to notice.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/098411/098411090314lg.jpg

These are my new bins! My Dh made these compost bins out of 15 pallets. He took about half of them apart to use the wood to put the slats closer together. Since we live with summer temps at 115 for months with single digit humidity we are more worried about the compost drying out than not enough oxygen through the walls which I can get by just turning the pile. It's amazing how fast the piles can heat up after turning! The two bins on the left are for "cooking" the compost and the one on the right which is smaller is for holding extra brown material before using it in the other two bins. He made the front slats removable so I can use as many or few as needed for the amount of compost material in each bin and makes turning and mixing the bins easier. Since it's in the chickens' run they get to jump in and help turn the piles. There are metal covers to use during the heat to help conserve water in the piles

Great job! You're so right about the challenge of keeping it moist here in the desert. I like the volume that you have too. If you haven't done this already, I would highly recommend seeding your first heated compost pile with red wiggler composting worms (Eisenia fetida). I seeded mine about 7 years ago and they have done well in our climate, spreading out through the garden and everywhere there was organic soil (which is only where I put it given our poor soil).

As an avid composter, I liked everyone's bins and I now have bin envy.

Great job! You're so right about the challenge of keeping it moist here in the desert. I like the volume that you have too. If you haven't done this already, I would highly recommend seeding your first heated compost pile with red wiggler composting worms (Eisenia fetida). I seeded mine about 7 years ago and they have done well in our climate, spreading out through the garden and everywhere there was organic soil (which is only where I put it given our poor soil).

As an avid composter, I liked everyone's bins and I now have bin envy.

Thanks, I'm loving having these bins after having nothing but piling up material against a wall. Yeah when the heat hits keeping it moist sure is a challenge. The size of these bins will help them not dry out so much since they are so large.

My first pile is already very hot so I'll toss some or my red wigglers in. I don't have too many to spare yet, I just set up my worm bin a couple of weeks ago but there are already a lot of tiny baby worms so they should do well in the nice big pile.

I'm thinking you need to make a compost bin your new project so we can get bin envy over yours.
wink.png

Last edited:
Good to know about arsenic. That's the very reason I'm not using water from the roof of the coop until I can get a different roof put on or a different building. Thanks for the tip on the arsenic.

I think I'm going to do the pallet compost area. I currently have mine in a half of a barrel. I think I may use the barrel to hold the finished product. I also have a small worm bin for composting. I'll post pictures when I get it all set up.

We have a black drum tumbler and it is working well. Now that we have added 9 more chickens and a second coop, the need for another, easier access compost bin was needed...i found 3 pallets the same size, chicken wired the inside, screwed together and made slide in door panels for the front. I used a hole saw and drilled finger pulls/airation holes along the top pf each 12 inch wide door panels. Already adding compotable materials to it and seems to ne working...let me hear your thoughts on this...spent 0 dollars on this as all materials were found or donated.....

These are mine. Made from recycled plastic.!0 years plus and still going strong.They are bottomless.There is 1 more that didn't fit in photo.1 -2 in use and others cooking.

We have a black drum tumbler and it is working well. Now that we have added 9 more chickens and a second coop, the need for another, easier access compost bin was needed...i found 3 pallets the same size, chicken wired the inside, screwed together and made slide in door panels for the front. I used a hole saw and drilled finger pulls/airation holes along the top pf each 12 inch wide door panels. Already adding compotable materials to it and seems to ne working...let me hear your thoughts on this...spent 0 dollars on this as all materials were found or donated.....
Nice job. what kind of wood are those front panels?

Back
Top Bottom