Share your Compost Container pics!

I started with a x-large rubbermaid container (you want something that doesn't let in a lot of light) and I drilled small air holes in the top and sides. I then put bedding in the bottom that was a little pine shavings but mostly cardboard and newspaper. I bought the worms on craigslist and added them on top of the bedding mixed in a layer of my odd compost. I then made a layer of "food" which was kitchen and yard scraps and then another layer of damp cardboard. You want everything to maintain the moisture of a rung out sponge.

You have to be a little more carefully with what you put in. Citrus can kill them and you need to age chicken poo for a bit before you add it in so it's not too acidic.

I am just starting out. I will let know know how it goes.
Sounds interesting. Are you going to start a thread with how it's going? I would love to follow along.

I just started composting a few months ago. I don't have room for a compost pile, so I built a tumbler. If it goes well I might make another so one can be an "add as you go", while the other one is a "batch".
Some of you mentioned checking your ph levels, how do you do that?

Here is a shot of my tumbler.

Wow, after reading just a bit on that, it can get pretty involved. I don't think I'm that hardcore yet.
big_smile.png

Thanks Dinos

I just started composting a few months ago. I don't have room for a compost pile, so I built a tumbler. If it goes well I might make another so one can be an "add as you go", while the other one is a "batch".
Some of you mentioned checking your ph levels, how do you do that?

Here is a shot of my tumbler.

Looks good!! I wish I could find a barrel with a twisty lid like that! The ones I seem to find have little lids like this

55_gallon_closed_top_blue_large1.jpg
(a picture I found online)

Last edited:
Wow, after reading just a bit on that, it can get pretty involved. I don't think I'm that hardcore yet.
big_smile.png

Thanks Dinos

Yes. Lol. You really can get very into it but you also don't have to. You can gage a lot just by the look and smell. Make sure you are mixing it up to oxygenate every so often and that it doesn't look super dry and everything smells earthy and you are on the right track. If anything smells acidy or rotty or sour then something is way off.

Last edited:
Looks good!! I wish I could find a barrel with a twisty lid like that! The ones I seem to find have little lids like this

55_gallon_closed_top_blue_large1.jpg
(a picture I found online)

Check your local feed stores. Ours is selling them for $25, or basically a deposit cost. The ones they sell have a big screw on lid, mine actually has a metal snap ring. You could also use one like the one you posted, just turn it on its side and cut a door into it. That way it's set up to spin horizontally instead of vertically. There are several examples of that design on YouTube.

Yes. Lol. You really can get very into it but you also don't have to. You can gage a lot just by the look and smell. Make sure you are mixing it up to oxygenate every so often and that it doesn't look super dry and everything smells earthy and you are on the right track. If anything smells acidy or rotty or sour then something is way off.

:thumbsup that's about how I'm gauging it now. Texture and smell seem to be pretty good. I can't wait to add my first batch of homemade compost to my garden.

304304_10200558468791453_1260124595_n.jpg
Just built this out of old wooden pallets!

That's the way I had mine when I first started composting. You might want to put pallets across the front then you can put more in it. As you put things into your bin and work it every week you find that you have less and less. Using one will get you started with a good amount of compost then you can use that compost to start your next batch in the second bin. looks good..

Back
Top Bottom