Share Your favorite healthy chicken treats!

Any healthy treat is good as long as given in moderation!
wink.png
No more than 10% of their diet....

Quote:
I am envious that you can afford to give your chicks tomatoes from your garden. Here in the Beautiful Pacific NW where we do not have enough sunshine to ripen our tomatoes I can't afford to give them any of mine. I have to keep what ripens for me. I did grow by accident shell peas. I thought I was growing sugar snap peas. So, the girls are getting to eat fresh peas from the garden everyday. They love them! I think I will do that on purpose next year for them to enjoy.

I leave the rind on, just cut it and stand back. I found something they didn't like: carrot salad. Gave them some I made for dinner. Simple: graded carrots w/raisins, pineapple and plain yogurt. Think it was the fresh pineapple. Not a citrus fruit, but high in acid.

pretty much any fruit and vegetable scraps from the kitchen, unless they can't eat it (like onions) then it goes straight to the compost pile.
Mealworms, bananas, grass and bad tomatoes from my garden. Mine refuse to eat zucchini, I'll try and cook it next time.

chickens make the best food composters for sure! This summer I got my first ripe cherry, it was juicy looking and ruby red. So I picked it and washed it, and I was just about to eat it when my hungry silkie roo comes up to me and snatches the cherry and takes a bite out of it. So, I gave him the rest. So much for my yummy cherry! They eat anything they can lay a claw on!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom