Share your FREAK accidents!

Quote:
My two DSs were racing home from church and one put his hand through glass in the front door when he tagged it. The inside of his wrist was all cut up-- I freaked but when I looked, no blood. The doctors at the ER were amazed that the cuts missed all the blood vessels and tendons in his inner wrist but he had to have a lot of stitches and now, he has some nasty scars. He's in high school now and gets asked about them a lot.

Here in The Netherlands , the country is soooo small there are simply not enough room for all the cars > result though is excellent public transport (bus/train) and 99 percent of population uses a bike (in my case exclusively )
I was coming home from the grocery store just at dusk and as usual here in wet ole holland it was misty. As I come to cross the train crossing I see at the very last second a big ole mess of shattered glass shards from bottles... I swerve to avoid them and my tire embeds in the train track, instantly stops throwing me and bike head over heels and I land on my shoulder on the train tracks.
DING DING DING DING!!!!! An oncoming train... I am stunned and cannot move and as it was dinner time there were very few cars on the road. Thank goodness for me a car pulled up and they immediately jumped out and pulled me off the tracks within seconds of the train roaring by.

My story isn't nearly as dramatic as lightening and trains (boy those must have been terrifying!) but...
When I was a kid I climbed up everything. One day I decided to climb up the laundry shoot (I was 6 and very skinny). Well I made it about 2/3 of the way up the 3 story drop by putting a hand on each wall and one foot on each side as well. I got so tired I couldn't move any more (I was so sure I'd make it easily
hmm.png
) so I started calling for my Mom. I could hear her and my Aunt looking for me in each room upstairs but, of course, she couldn't find me, so when I heard her pass through the hall I yelled again and she yelled to my Aunt "Oh my God she is stuck in the wall!"
Eventually my Uncle tried to climb up and got stuck when he tried but he got far enough up to break my fall when my poor little muscles gave out and I escaped with only a few bumps and bruises. He had a few bruises as well from this boney kid free falling onto his head.

Last edited:
Quote:
My two DSs were racing home from church and one put his hand through glass in the front door when he tagged it. The inside of his wrist was all cut up-- I freaked but when I looked, no blood. The doctors at the ER were amazed that the cuts missed all the blood vessels and tendons in his inner wrist but he had to have a lot of stitches and now, he has some nasty scars. He's in high school now and gets asked about them a lot.

I'm glad your son wasn't seriously injured by the glass door. That could have been so much worse.

It sometimes amazes me that most kids actually survive childhood. I had quite a few oopsies that landed me in trouble when I was a kid, but my daughter... my daughter... is going to give me a heart attack. When she was 1 y.o. she had to go to the ER 3 times in less than a year. I am a nurse, so I am not just panicking and hauling her to the ER at every little bump and bruise. The best trip was because she fell UP the stairs. Not down the stairs like you would expect, but up the stairs. She landed on her chin and was crying. I glanced at it and thought it was OK until she lifted her chin up all the way and OMG I saw her jawbone through the cut! The cut went right to the bone, but didn't bleed more than a couple drops of blood. It was amazing and horrifying all at once. Off to the ER for stitches.

I was pregnant with my youngest daughter (7 months) and we lived in a rent trailor and I stepped out of the tub... went thru the floor luckily I landed of the big fat sewer pipe or I would have been outside naked... moved out shortly after that since land lord didn't want to fix anything....

I was out bowhunting one time in my younger days. I had climbed the tree with my portable tree stand. What I didn't realize is that it started to mist then freeze. When I went to climb down and the stand hit the ice I came out of that tree at about 100 miles per hr. I hit the ground with such force That I fell back on my rump breaking my tailbone.
sad.png

chickensducks&agoose :

I got hit by lightning when I was 3 months pregnant with my first child. (7 years ago), I was kneeling down in a huge puddle, with my head up against the side of the house, looking under with my flashlight, for my kitty. I saw him, and was trying to coax him out, and the rain was falling SO hard, it was like waves, or buckets full of water being poured on me. The next thing I knew, I was standing on the porch, in intense pain, my hands were all balled up, and I couldn't relax them. I couldn't see, or hear, and made my friend take me to the ER. I hallucinated, really badly for about 24 hours (thought we'd been to the ER, and seen the Dr... etc. when we hadn't even gotten there yet.. it made answering questions very, very hard), and saw bright lights, floating around, as well as that after-image thing you get when you see a flash.... I had no burns, or marks, or anything, and other than having some hearing loss ( I watch tv with the Captions on... drives the hubby nuts!), and occasional bright specks of light (the kind you see right before you pass out...)I think I'm fine. Really scared of lightning though... Crazy fluke. They think the lightning either hit the puddle I was in, or hit the house and connected to my head through all the water running down the walls onto my head. My baby was fine, though we really expected that he might be born with white hair, or super-powers....

ep.gif
WOW! That is a CRAZY story. I still have goosebumps after reading that!​

When DS was 8 months old he was just tottering around trying to walk by grabbing onto chairs and legs and such. He was RIGHT beside me and fell, too fast to catch, and clunked his chin. Whole lot of crying and blood, had bit his tongue a bit. So we thought. I was putting him to bed an hour later when he opened his mouth and this huge bite gash gaped open across his tongue, and it started bleeding heavily again. I still shudder thinking about it. Rushed him to the ER; it was OK - antibiotic, painkiller and it was too late and just at the borderline of needed stitches - I thought it looked like the grand canyon. He went straight from breast to real cup that day. Very tramatic. For me. He's fine, no loss of taste, nothing but a tiny line almost all the way across the tongue.

I have another one.. in high school I always made a bridle out of a rope to ride my cousins horse... never had a problem... i rode 2 miles to the store when i rent to get back on her the rope wrapped around one of my legs and she spooked and ran home dragging me thru 2 peoles front yards befor my leg got loose from the rope ... broke tail bone( had to sit on a pillow at school-talk about embarrassing ) rope burn and bruise all the way down my leg...I was so lucky it wasn't worse... did I learn my lesson no... as soon as i was healed rode her again with my rope bridle...
I have had so many freak accidents that I could write a book... I am an accident waiting to happen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom