Share your history of feeder/waterer setups pros and cons?

I feed my chicken feed in big dog bowls and crocks. Water too, goes in a dog bowl. They don’t step in the bowls or spill the feed.
But I also use nipple waterers as well. In winter I have a heated dog bowl and a heated nipple waterer. The bowls get cleaned and refilled every day. The nipple waterers last for a long time without cleaning or refilling.

52E1BF61-6292-475D-8252-20917627A6CB.jpeg 85C98BFB-2D67-486D-BA55-822B7E209C58.jpeg B458B1FE-7F6E-4E36-A8E7-F3E663B78FE3.jpeg

I have that same food and water set up. I love the ports. But I don't like the watering cups... I didn't get the rent-a-coop ones, so maybe that's my fault. They're just some non brand kind. Maybe I'll try the branded ones. But these ones leak like crazy.

Eventually I want to get a float valve and have my bucket autofill.

The feeders and waterers I most disliked were these ones. I could never keep them clean... I don't know what I'll do if I have chicks again.
View attachment 3487474
Follow up: I got some off brand cups, installed them on a 5 gallon bucket, and they leak like crazy. The original RAC cups are still working fine.

I originally had a 3"d PVC pipe screwed to the side of my coop. It had a three way split on the bottom, and I'd fill it from the top. It worked quite well, and stayed clean, but I stopped using it because flocks of sparrows were almost  doubling feed consumption. I now use a hanging 2 gallon bucket with a large I-bolt dangling in the middle. There is a block of wood screwed on the bolt, and when the chickens peck at it, a small amount of feed falls to the ground for them.
Double!??? I have to wonder how many sparrows I'm actually feeding as well! 😳

Here are pics of my feeder and waterer setups. There are two feeders in the trashcan, and a single watering cup on the bucket. They all seem to get all the food and water they need with no squabbles.

The waterer had a removable cup section in it for easier cleaning, I guess. I removed the cup permanently a few days ago, which lightened up the cup, which in turn allowed the cup to fill deeper with water. Deeper water seems to make it easier for the chickens to get a good drink.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    536.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 18
Here are pics of my feeder and waterer setups. There are two feeders in the trashcan, and a single watering cup on the bucket. They all seem to get all the food and water they need with no squabbles.

The waterer had a removable cup section in it for easier cleaning, I guess. I removed the cup permanently a few days ago, which lightened up the cup, which in turn allowed the cup to fill deeper with water. Deeper water seems to make it easier for the chickens to get a good drink.
Oh neat! What is that little blue piece in the feeder?

Hi there! So, I’ve come to the point where my coops, run, feeders, basically everything is going to be revamped…. I’ve had my flock for 1 1/2 years and have learned what I need vs what I don’t need. Lol, looks like I have some hard work to do too! 😫. I will probably have lots of questions for people to contribute advice but for now…. My question is how to keep the squirrels out of my chicken feeders!!! I’m using the bucket method with the auto cups for access…. I have the fastest squirrels I’ve ever seen now!
I have several options…. But I’m looking for something that can hold enough feed to allow a little more freedom when I must leave….

Also, I’ve been told the water nibbles work great if they are horizontal not the vertical…. But how to teal my hens to use this method?? I live on the Southern border of Texas…. Water heats up real fast here…. I know I have several water connection options when using the nipples, people suggesting a big barrel with filter action system or traction similar to what is used in water troughs… however I can help but think that will still be hot water…. Any suggestions??

Hi there! So, I’ve come to the point where my coops, run, feeders, basically everything is going to be revamped…. I’ve had my flock for 1 1/2 years and have learned what I need vs what I don’t need. Lol, looks like I have some hard work to do too! 😫. I will probably have lots of questions for people to contribute advice but for now…. My question is how to keep the squirrels out of my chicken feeders!!! I’m using the bucket method with the auto cups for access…. I have the fastest squirrels I’ve ever seen now!
I have several options…. But I’m looking for something that can hold enough feed to allow a little more freedom when I must leave….

Also, I’ve been told the water nibbles work great if they are horizontal not the vertical…. But how to teal my hens to use this method?? I live on the Southern border of Texas…. Water heats up real fast here…. I know I have several water connection options when using the nipples, people suggesting a big barrel with filter action system or traction similar to what is used in water troughs… however I can help but think that will still be hot water…. Any suggestions??
I meant fattest squirrels 🐿️

Back
Top Bottom