Share your history of feeder/waterer setups pros and cons?

Pics
Apr 16, 2023
NE Tennessee
I'm looking into trying some new ways to feed and water the chickens when I build the coop.
Since I'm making plans now, it would be a good time for me to decide which way I want to go.
I'm seeing some really cool and innovative ideas in blogs and vlogs but, very often, each one talks about the pros and not the cons.

I am betting that a lot of people here have tried a lot of different ways and have found what worked for their situation and what didn't and why.
I am hoping that you will all share your wisdom so I can make a good call before I start building.

I've pretty much done old school since I was a girl, galvanized vacuum waterer on the ground
and galvanized feed trough on legs on the ground.
I'm ready for something else!

feeder.PNG

waterer.PNG

Good question! Thanks for asking. I've been going through some refitting of feeders myself and am interested in everyone's replies.

My experience with FEEDERS:

1682815370315.png

Pros: durable, raised legs, chickens don't poop in it, holds a good amount
Cons: Lifting by the treadle tends to bend it, screws come loose on the ends and the holes wear out.

1682815554629.png

Pros: durable, keeps chicks from scratching food out, but they will poop in it
Cons: Only for chicks or bantams, as they grow have to raise it, fussy to get lid back on

1682815772125.png

Pros: easy to clean, keeps chicks from scratching food out, but they will poop in it
Cons: Only for chicks or bantams, lid is a PITA to open for refills, lightweight (tips easily if not full)

leO-lj7azd_q9xtyTRjV29vcPp4TOMFzVEWDQuPIWFMmSQKBq6TdgzKbtPUR03eXMPI4zUKfHH3M5wDG4HcSvXsfMTTJoKM4RNR9q0lAk513W796X_Rxr_sK9J9X8rUrGX0kUPJcNSLVr2NksNk2TFl6UQOX57mV2r_Me9uPCOGJKA2JHqoM_XcCrSgsuHQWJUDQPa2LI1_s7yMUKgdG8ntunJf2RGk4c-QCQRwRyelqkFeW-__2S6eBpC_Lq_hne8d-Jj0ViBtMNG3hefRWCRbbks9vED0cSm-ugq3nK_chXNcu4nFaXcaELYG4K765O2-5g9ArmACq0ud_JkRcPLuBtpOALFvbrLlFjZaPO60rQwZ6rEeBMYLqj5oLEz_04cga8j71fooAZcPowYle7OCUAQvRiV_RiBkcyYMjr-NEa1oU48xjEOAfDQKjhqeprUcWh4w4it95ckq2sQz1Z9HO1iyCfiwpd3bZ4StBabOmWWLTqMaVHoNfJMjSML20wXQY2Gc6n7g-cFpBcUoFliSHGszKYWo1bkS-1-5sdVV297yH_rvxY5HOMPcybC93fa0fbDgs_dcMcuR6SAKb-MBE-o2z6llFvcOjO8aCJ_rgARMb6A9niXkYJfUwl0xgR-IF9LcwxT2SGfDTljRA1-dHZ4v6ykZ1W_ClOpzBD3F6FRmvxBq_cUggz8_duaRmThBYk5jtqYSooD7PDUZheuaxTlifAPjqUEiWF3EvepeTXG8aOsxSeYAjWpM741q8mXO9bNU1cZKExhXqkp_OUjwHeAgVRjo46jlplnVSKfQH4zbngarU-qXQG9LyeRRIJUuD44j7_CzbihF9NQeq8PJvjLBBWcw7h3PnN2FpTurLisdITGP96TYNZypIdk5QOD4Hbh5__vkr06RbWFZ4I8yPOH2lY2oyTyMxhZxt58gqzzIc=w1169-h990-s-no

DIY feeder made from a tote and feeder ports from Amazon:
Pros: Holds as much feed as the container you choose to make it from, less time filling feeders, weather-proof, inexpensive to make.
Cons: Takes a bit of time to put together, not racoon proof (they get the caps out), still have to put caps in at night which negates time saved by filling smaller feeders, despite claims that it reduces waste it does NOT reduce waste.

My experience with WATERERS:

070442.webp

Pros: durable, holds a lot of water, works well with heated base.
Cons: tendency to air leaks along seams, susceptible to rusting out, heavy to carry

292403_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1621029207_.jpg

Pros: Holds a lot of water, works with heated base if not too cold, water port is well below lip of the base so it's more forgiving of unlevel placement on a surface (less tendency to spill over)
Cons: Hard to clean (small opening), base tends to crack & leak, hard to get lid off if too tight.

1682817129315.png

Pros: Can be hung above litter, easy to clean, good for chicks or small flocks
Cons: If not suspended it must be placed perfectly level or tends to spill over, doesn't hold as much water as other designs, tends to tip over when filling due to the rounded shape of the top.

1924071_A2

cRdGcafd5leoHzHGQAW6vylIu5wfI3tu0baAmKLpBj7PkN_EIYYc9sObCJxvgdONtQY44L-NjqGWM0BKu5EGmzVVgnup-1ZR96mFAJsISI6yrforAao7DGmVcqrU8vX0Ee3Z2Q9kh7GBTUBr0G5zZFmwWglwNW066K0cLbqmpf8P2oJ10zt3TNZmJA1rGarcBbH0ayZuhAS5_hQgwFY9TCXfceltYtQoS4w6A4er-CCnGsWQkmFdgwEXx6BSCBA4ZI8CVJHW51V4GHbJBvaY6JLrHn54oI39Sv2vxJYZzqzVUAtygTBDDY7RCvg62co9ayOPWNDJ_65cx9kE94yo6JH8uTC9GulEAEPj6m8Fx22DH7MejBImoRxay1nI_QUouuXq7vzlUvRpoMiSJGxEB2iRlh5cXlDvYzYCZ7ZibGDJdq4-EWExISqJwgzyCpTxhZ7cLGv9o9Fz5iLWbxOCNBKOSj2bcPV6La_z8CwM-CctyIElcLCZXbuLRtXfwncj8rWo3c501swW6CFUJn43hdx1SmFeAAIrVmbk_oghd8inOW0zf0Z8oAMgwAwYX9jYIM19nen1FH-dTP5pvJnZ421ij3trTwB8__JnlZLL3Iu3ZrR4iB96M8pBK3Rlc_aicvOMneS4DRLfVbf5dQSzR69GYgEt3sEhLAlGzx5f1Ixpy0tJ_yoGXMwo-GvXMqkKShDBXrtFn44yr44gWHMl_hWmv0-s0ezLPt3UKLeeaEsadM0LpxvvZsuSv2RFdrVLTAPCs-8Xo2iuPB1hKM_M37UzQHvKouuOfmor9j_rTyTM66xJhXnG0kcIqkA7a1m968nyZNPRbQwqQXn7-akCis6_ocJ_ZqEXzOU9wNuAkT_skvyZK62P399QpnXCIi-pFXyNaG7CQc1mIcsc9HXks05_UM53QBzfw9LMiH32Blwzwxm6=w729-h990-s-no

DIY Nipple-LESS watering cups, to 5-gal bucket:
Pros: Holds as much water as the container you choose to use, can be filled from garden hose so no need to transport the container for filling, constant supply of fresh water, easy to keep cups clean, less tendency to leak when placed on less-than-level surfaces.
Cons: Cups are somewhat fragile, tendency to tip/twist sideways if not fully tightened and then leak.

I started out with a water system like that and would feed twice a day in a shallow metal pan. Now I use a 5 gallon bucket with nipples. It stays a lot cleaner and I can put a stock tank heater in it in the winter.

For a feeder I hung a 40 pound from a rafter In the run. It has a large pan it feeds into with a lip. Very little to no waste. When it’s empty I dump all the fines into a pan, add water and make mash.

When it is going to rain I hang it from a rafter in the coop.

I like this set up so far. I do plan to add another 5 gallon water bucket to the run though.

I'd been using a basic chick feeder, galvanized metal with oval holes, until a few days ago. Got the feed in a heavy bowl right now, but some of the feed goes to the floor. I ordered the tourquoise feeder tubes yesterday. Arrive tomorrow, and I'll mount a couple on a 5 gal bucket. Only 20 bucks.

Used a plastic 1 qt chick waterer, then upgraded to a Rent a Coop auto cup. It's been working very well!
@LifeSimpleAndSweet

Versions of those mentioned above are what I have.

What you use for feeders and waterers depends upon your needs. How many chickens? Feeder in the coop or just the run? Climate? Not being able to fill the feeders and waterers daily?

When I had chickens many years ago I had a plastic gravity waterer (which got filled with run litter constantly) and a galvanized feeder with a sliding cover. In my new setup I have a 5 gallon bucket with ports for feed
IMG_20230411_191149959.jpg

and a 5 gallon bucket with self-filling cups for water:
IMG_20230204_134902648_HDR~2.jpg

(Rent-a-Coop is the brand I used)

I also have two simple waterer bottles that clip on the side of my run.
IMG_20230408_103204432.jpg

In two months I haven't had any issues.

In the summer - I use the 2 gallon bucket with nipples. I have had good luck with either the vertical or horizontal. In the summer it is crucial that chickens have good water available at all times in the heat. In the winter, I use two black rubber bowls, fill one, it freezes, flip it upside down in the sun, and fill the other bowl. The ice cube falls out as the black absorbs the sun. Repeat.

I only use a long time feeder if we are going to be gone for several days. I think food available 24/7 draws rodents. I try to feed them so that there is not a lot left at night. If it is empty, I feed more, if a lot left over I feed less. It is rather surprising to me, but chickens really do not eat the same amount of feed each day.

But I do have 3 + stations, set up so that a bird eating at one station is not being seen by a bird eating at another.

I have that same food and water set up. I love the ports. But I don't like the watering cups... I didn't get the rent-a-coop ones, so maybe that's my fault. They're just some non brand kind. Maybe I'll try the branded ones. But these ones leak like crazy.

Eventually I want to get a float valve and have my bucket autofill.

The feeders and waterers I most disliked were these ones. I could never keep them clean... I don't know what I'll do if I have chicks again.
View attachment 3487474
The RAC cups have not leaked, yet. I'm very satisfied with the quality. FYI: if I set the waterer on the ground it pushes the cups up, and they start running water. Mine is up on bricks.

Back
Top Bottom