Sharing my feeder & waterer

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Hey everyone. Just wanted to share our feeder and waterer set up. The feeder is very simple. A 2" pvc pipe, 45° elbow, caps on both ends (the top cap is not glued so I can refill it). It's about 5' tall. I let my flock free range during the day when I'm home, and my feeder needs replenished about every 3-5 days depending on weather and how much time is being spent in the coop/ run.

20180429_174553.jpg
20180429_174543.jpg

The waterer uses basic physics, and requires a complete air tight seal to work properly. When the water level reaches the curve in the J shape, more water comes out.
I used 3" pvc with two elbow connectors, and a screw in end attachment (for both filling the pvc and capping off the top). I ran threading tape on the screw in cap to create the seal without needing to glue into place (have to be able to fill it after all!).

20180429_152925.jpg

Above is the screw in cap end (sorry, I don't know the actual name for it). I glued the part that the cap screws into at the top only, so it can be filled and air tight. I use the same setup at the bottom when I fill it, it's just not glued in.

20180429_152916.jpg

Above is a full shot of the set up, along with my son. He's my big helper lol. You can see the other cap on the ground, but it is filled in this picture, the water isn't gushing out, avd the whole project cost about $25. Half of what one nice auto feeder or waterer would cost if you bought one from a store!

Hope you enjoyed and got some good ideas!

Nice set up!
How many chickens share the waterer? We have two age groups currently, so we have separate waterers since the oldest like to be assertive, but that one seems to have a large enough opening you probably gwt a few drinking out of it at the same time?

Nice set up!
How many chickens share the waterer? We have two age groups currently, so we have separate waterers since the oldest like to be assertive, but that one seems to have a large enough opening you probably gwt a few drinking out of it at the same time?
I currently have 3 in my flock, and there isn't any fussing over the water. They can drink from it at the same time. It's elevated so not much gets in there. If the stray poop or some dirt gets in, I flush it out. I imagine if there were more chickens, adding another waterer would fix the issue.

Nice set up!
Also, I removed the log in the picture as my chickens are now big enough to reach down in and get the water.

I currently have 3 in my flock, and there isn't any fussing over the water. They can drink from it at the same time. It's elevated so not much gets in there. If the stray poop or some dirt gets in, I flush it out. I imagine if there were more chickens, adding another waterer would fix the issue.
When you "flush it out", do you leave it in place or have to pick it up?

When you "flush it out", do you leave it in place or have to pick it up?
I leave it in place and just run some extra water through it before I cap it and fill it. I've had to clean it with some vinegar (someone decided to perch on it and poo directly into it) but it didn't cause any issue. Later down the road I will replace zip ties with radiator hose clamps so that I can take it down with ease and not have to replace zip ties when I do more thorough cleanings.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to share our feeder and waterer set up. The feeder is very simple. A 2" pvc pipe, 45° elbow, caps on both ends (the top cap is not glued so I can refill it). It's about 5' tall. I let my flock free range during the day when I'm home, and my feeder needs replenished about every 3-5 days depending on weather and how much time is being spent in the coop/ run.

View attachment 1375947 View attachment 1375949

The waterer uses basic physics, and requires a complete air tight seal to work properly. When the water level reaches the curve in the J shape, more water comes out.
I used 3" pvc with two elbow connectors, and a screw in end attachment (for both filling the pvc and capping off the top). I ran threading tape on the screw in cap to create the seal without needing to glue into place (have to be able to fill it after all!).

View attachment 1375956
Above is the screw in cap end (sorry, I don't know the actual name for it). I glued the part that the cap screws into at the top only, so it can be filled and air tight. I use the same setup at the bottom when I fill it, it's just not glued in.

View attachment 1375961
Above is a full shot of the set up, along with my son. He's my big helper lol. You can see the other cap on the ground, but it is filled in this picture, the water isn't gushing out, avd the whole project cost about $25. Half of what one nice auto feeder or waterer would cost if you bought one from a store!

Hope you enjoyed and got some good ideas!
I'm sleepy, I guess, but I'm not sure how you fill it? The top is glued in place, yes? How does the screw in cap on the ground figure into it?

I'm sleepy, I guess, but I'm not sure how you fill it? The top is glued in place, yes? How does the screw in cap on the ground figure into it?
20180507_111516.jpg
20180507_111551.jpg

The cap that was on the ground is two pieces, but the screw cap allows for it to be air tight (regular end cap didn't work, I tried). The piece it screws into fits in the bottom of the J where they drink. This allows me to fill it without water going everywhere.

20180507_111639.jpg

At the top, the part the red arrow points to is not glued. Just wrapped with thread tape. The blue arrow points to the glued part that the red piece screws into. To fill, I plug the bottom of the J, unscrew the cap on the top of the J and fill. Once full, I tighten the top red arrow piece into the blue arrow piece. Then I unplug the bottom of the J. Let physics do the rest, refill when water is low.

Last edited:
View attachment 1377353 View attachment 1377354
The cap that was on the ground is two pieces, but the screw cap allows for it to be air tight (regular end cap didn't work, I tried). The piece it screws into fits in the bottom of the J where they drink. This allows me to fill it without water going everywhere.

View attachment 1377358
At the top, the part the red arrow points to is not glued. Just wrapped with thread tape. The blue arrow points to the glued part that the red piece screws into. To fill, I plug the bottom of the J, unscrew the cap on the top of the J and fill. Once full, I tighten the top red arrow piece into the blue arrow piece. Then I unplug the bottom of the J. Let physics do the rest, refill when water is low.
Ah, I was thinking that the screw part on top of the "J" was entirely glued and couldn't be removed. Gotcha now. Very cool.

Ah, I was thinking that the screw part on top of the "J" was entirely glued and couldn't be removed. Gotcha now. Very cool.
Thank you. It took a bit of trial and error (I was soaked with water a few times before I figured it all out lol), so I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom