Shaving in water?

casadezorola

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
Any suggestions on how to keep at least SOME shavings out of my babies water? I don't want to raise it because they're still so little. Less than a week old.

Thanks!

Can I elevate it a little if they're only about 7 days old? I guess I can use different lifting methods and watch them to see what works. That must be getting comfortable in their new home cause they're running around like crazy! So cute :)

I had to elevate it, however shavings still get in it but it is not completly full like it used to be

Yes you could raise the water a little bit 1 inch or whatever you think is right and hopefully that will be enough to keep the shavings of your babies water, after all they're only a week old!
jumpy.gif

I put the waterer up on bricks (side by side). I lay another brick in front of the bricks under the waterer, and the little bitties just jump up onto the brick in front and stand to drink. It works well!

One caution, please make sure they can get all the way around the back of the waterer by walking so they don't get stuck back there. So leave some room between the bricks and the wall.

Even at 1 week old, I've usually able to raise the waterer about an inch to reduce the amount of wood shavings in the water. Another approach is to put the waterer on top of a couple of upside-down ceramic tiles (for added traction).

Back
Top Bottom