Shavings

yelim

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Plant City, Florida
I bought some shavings from TSC which were fine. Those ran out so I bought some from a local feed store that says 100% wood shavings. Don't know what TSC bag said. When you ask for shavings do you get cedar mixed in with all other wood, or do you ask for pine shavings. Stuff from local store is like very, very large sawdust with chips mixed in.

i ask for pine shavings. and thats what i get.
wink.png

we dont have a tsc around here.

Mostly it is pine or hardwood--cedar is so much more expensive they generally don't mix them. One of the local feed stores sells a kind that gives you a choice of fine or course--the fine is mostly sawdust whereas the course is wood chips. I generally go elsewhere for them because neither do the job--I want shavings.

Yup, pine shavings.

I know some folks use rice hulls, which are more easily composted than pine shavings (takes less time to break down into compost) but my feed store folks said they're far less absorbant. "Not good for deep litter method." But they'd sell 'em to me if I wanted to buy 'em.

Another feed store said they're "good for small coops" that get cleaned out more frequently.

Cedar will be red and brown pieces while pine (and spruce which is even better) will be off white/yellow.

Back
Top Bottom