Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

I don't think I could catch that duckling without causing major uproar with all the others.
:confused:

The best way to capture a DUX from within a flock with causing much commotion is using a bow and arrow. They are silent and swift. I would recommend a wide sharp broad head to maximize the collateral damage as much as possible.

This advice is free pf charge from the anti dux society manual, page 23 paragraph 2.

Well. . I wrapped the leg to itself yesterday evening. Couldn't for the life of me get a wrap around it's body. Even with help. I don't know exactly what I'm doing. . tried under the wings and then over. When I put it under it got it off in 2 seconds flat. When I went over it stressed him out so bad if was panting and crying and acting like he was gonna die. I couldn't leave him like that. So I settled for taping the leg up in a bent sling position so he can't put weight on it. He tries to hop around on the one foot. . but mostly lays down. Gonna go get some children's ibuprofen here in a little bit. My biggest concern is him hurting his other leg trying to hop around :(
I feel bad for him he thinks I live just to torture him.
And as I keep saying him. . .I'm starting to this it might be a she.
Hmm... no advice on the wrapping... but that sure sounds like a quack to me...

They change So much so fast. . every time my mom comes over she likes to guess who is who. . and usually gets it all wrong. :lol:
If I wasn't looking at them every day I would not be able to tell them all apart either. Hubby thought Sofie was Ralphie the other day and asked me what was wrong with him :lau

I am suggesting you kick Mr Fake Eilleen to the curb with a trash bagful of his belongings. There is never any excuse for not recognizing a true Ralphie. (even a dux one)

Well. . I wrapped the leg to itself yesterday evening. Couldn't for the life of me get a wrap around it's body. Even with help. I don't know exactly what I'm doing. . tried under the wings and then over. When I put it under it got it off in 2 seconds flat. When I went over it stressed him out so bad if was panting and crying and acting like he was gonna die. I couldn't leave him like that. So I settled for taping the leg up in a bent sling position so he can't put weight on it. He tries to hop around on the one foot. . but mostly lays down. Gonna go get some children's ibuprofen here in a little bit. My biggest concern is him hurting his other leg trying to hop around :(
I feel bad for him he thinks I live just to torture him.
And as I keep saying him. . .I'm starting to this it might be a she.

can you put said gimpy dux in a small box or container to limit movement more? Maybe a ice cream pail in the fridge so it is dark (and she does not want to move) and cool so she does not over heat?

Hmm... no advice on the wrapping... but that sure sounds like a quack to me...
It kind of does doesn't it! It's so strange cause one of the other ones has been quack n for over a week. And it has that high pitched call duck quack. This almost sounds like my Cayugas quack. A minute before I started to record it let out a full blown honk honk honk sound.
Could possibly still be a Drake and it's fixing to get its frog voice. I've noticed right before their voice changes they sometimes sound funny like a teenage boys voice will crack and squeak when it's changing. :confused:

can you put said gimpy dux in a small box or container to limit movement more? Maybe a ice cream pail in the fridge so it is dark (and she does not want to move) and cool so she does not over heat?
I do have a small tote I've fixed with holes in the top. It would be just the right size for it to not be able to move at all. I thought about putting it in there. I'd have to bring it in the house. . that's almost like putting it in the fridge after being outside in 90 degree weather :th

It kind of energy doesn't it! It's so strange cause one of the other ones has been quack n for over a week. And it has that high pitched call duck quack. This almost sounds like my Cayugas quack. A minute before I started to record it let out a full blown honk honk honk sound.
Could possibly still be a Drake and it's fixing to get its frog voice. I've noticed right before their voice changes they sometimes sound funny like a teenage boys voice will crack and squeak when it's changing. :confused:

Hens don't quackle?

It kind of does doesn't it! It's so strange cause one of the other ones has been quack n for over a week. And it has that high pitched call duck quack. This almost sounds like my Cayugas quack. A minute before I started to record it let out a full blown honk honk honk sound.
Idk... this is my first experience with lings and im pretty sure one of mine is quacking but not positive..:hmm
Im no help..:th

Back
Top Bottom