Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

When you have a broody hatch eggs how long do you wait before selling the ducklings? I dont think i have the heart to take away ducklings from a mommy but i cant keep them unless i thin my flock a little bit, which im trying to do.

That's a good question. I have a customer wanting some too, and no egg production for me to hatch. With chickens, I sell what I hatch (with exceptions), and keep what the broodies hatch. I've taken chicks from chicken hens, but don't like to do it. I've only had one broody call duck, prior to this week, and lost most of her ducklings to that damn raccoon. Then Phoebe only hatched 1 of 4, so I'll keep that one. But Phoebe is on 8 eggs, due any day now. So if I'd get lucky and she would hatch several, this customer would take some, but I don't know when would be best to take them. I'm thinking the earlier, the better.
I've sold most of the ones I've incubated this year. The last broody duck hatchlings that I sold were Black Swedish, and I sold the momma with them!

Back
Top Bottom