Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

I swear I heard a quack come out of one of my juvies. I had been assuming he was a drake (Jax did try mating her/him when they were younger, he always avoided my obvious drake juvie)

This one. I think it’s either just a bad grey, or incomplete grey, or maybe dusky grey? Thoughts anyone? The speculum usually looks just black, no standout eye stripes, but slightly faint. And some green sheen on the head. Do any females get green heads? I gotta go look that up.
Bill looks huge, but still young and growing in to it. Looks a lot like Lexi, the momma.
View attachment 1451604

I would say drake. Their heads will start to turn dark before they are noticeably green. His bill is also green and black, my juvenile hens had more orangish bills. Heres one of my juvenile drakes, you can see the dark feathers coming in near his bill.

Attachments

• IMG_9192.JPG
    IMG_9192.JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 3
I would say drake. Their heads will start to turn dark before they are noticeably green. His bill is also green and black, my juvenile hens had more orangish bills. Heres one of my juvenile drakes, you can see the dark feathers coming in near his bill.

Thanks for dashing my hopes :hit

:lau :lau

Although, the description does call for deep green-brown on the crown. I’ll have to look and listen to him closer.
(Edit - he isn’t close to SOP either way, so it doesn’t really matter. I just don’t need another drake!)
1B583403-BD5B-4484-8508-B7D6D388F282.png

Thanks for dashing my hopes :hit

:lau :lau

Although, the description does call for deep green-brown on the crown. I’ll have to look and listen to him closer.
(Edit - he isn’t close to SOP either way, so it doesn’t really matter. I just don’t need another drake!)
View attachment 1452997

Oh i know! I hope it works in your favor. I have three too many drakes and new ducklings. Honestly I would vent sex, they say to do it in the first 24 hours when they havent eaten yet cause they can choke but i dont like doing it on the teeny tiny babies so i do it when their older im just really careful about it and i try not to flip them completely upside down

Basically it means not black, lol. E is the gene for extended black. e+ means not black. E is dominant, so a duck that is Ee+ would be black, but is carrying not black. So a blue bibbed male could be Ee+ and of course he would also be at least Blbl+ (Bl being blue) which turns the black blue. Or maybe even BlBl. Getting black babies from him would mean he's Blbl+ though because if he was BlBl all would be blue, they'd all be getting the blue gene.

So anyway, if he bred with a gray hen and passed the offspring e+ and Bl, boom, blue fawn.
Interesting... my dark one has some rust colored fathers coming in. I'll try an get a pic when i bring them in before dark. They have been spending the day in an outside pen but still panic at dark. Its only been 4 days tho so..:confused:
View attachment 1449543 View attachment 1449544
She hatched all seven! Except one with an underdeveloped CAM. What color is this yellow one? I can believe how many different colors I got!
Omg!!! Beautiful duckies and those pics are awsome!!! :love
I swear I heard a quack come out of one of my juvies. I had been assuming he was a drake (Jax did try mating her/him when they were younger, he always avoided my obvious drake juvie)

This one. I think it’s either just a bad grey, or incomplete grey, or maybe dusky grey? Thoughts anyone? The speculum usually looks just black, no standout eye stripes, but slightly faint. And some green sheen on the head. Do any females get green heads? I gotta go look that up.
Bill looks huge, but still young and growing in to it. Looks a lot like Lexi, the momma.
View attachment 1451604
Idk but he/she is really pretty. :love
I like em all tho...:lau
:eek::lau:gig
I got a little worried there too for a min...:oops:

Back
Top Bottom