She ain't layin'

Knittycat

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Bay City, TX
One of my chickens isn't laying. She appears healthy, her abdomen isn't distended or hard, her vent is moist, her pelvic bones are almost 3 fingers apart. She has laid faithfully previously, although when I started letting the birds free-range, her eggs got warty, and then for a little while the shells sounded like porcelain when they were tapped, all the while she was laying less and less. Everybody told me that there was no problem...except now she isn't laying at all. I know she isn't just laying in the yard because the chickens spent the past 4 days in the run and coop. Everybody else laid. She didn't. She's my only blue egg layer, so I know which eggs are hers.

What the heck is goin' on here?

ETA: She's only a year and a couple of months old. She hasn't even been laying for a whole year yet. She's not molting either. There is no reason I can think of she'd stop laying. No mites, no lice, no sign of infection, no sign of illness. Nothin'. She's not even bottom of the pecking order!

I'd have to say it's been five weeks since I've seen an egg from her. It's been ten since she's laid regularly.

Last edited:
They do take breaks once a while for unknown reasons. My EE went on a vacation in January for six weeks, started back up and laying since. Frustrating, especially when you want those blue eggs. Still no idea why she took a break.

When you find out, let me know. I have a 2-year old Brahma that hasn't laid reliably since last Halloween!! She is not molting, broody, sick, or too old. It's maddening.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom