*She Didn't Make It* She's barely drinking and not moving much

Yes, I started with 26...25 leghorns and 1 rare (I never did find out what kind it was).

My dog, Mona, killed 14, 2 were found dead in their cage within 24 hours of Mona's attack (someone suggested shock/stress of the attack killed them), and Vanna died this morning; leaving me with just 9.

That is probably what happened as the shock will kill them too. I just lost my little guinnie girl as she was not doing good either. She was moving real slow and not keeping up witht he others either. She was acting like yours in a way so I brought her in the house and gave her some BioMycin and some poultry nutridrench...thinking it would make her better , well the next day she was better and I took her out to the others and then it got cold out and rainy too. Well I brought her in last nite and she was eating but I think mine got a hold of maybe some whole kernal corn and couldnt digest it. She was always the smallest too and she was almost 4 mths old too much older than yours, I still dontklnow what caused it.The others are doing fine. I am so sorry you lost your little 1, even though they are chickens we raise them and become attached to them too. I know I have had mine since they were 1 day old. Again I am so sorry...

Wow, I'll bet that was a tough one to deal with. I have a dog too. She acts so sweet when we have them in a box in the garage but she is a bird dog and I know if given the chance she would kill them too. I hope can keep your dog away from the rest. Maybe when they get bigger, she will leave them alone.
Good Luck

Quote:
I cried and cried when I discovered what she had done. I couldn't save even one that she got a hold of.
We are working with Mona daily and hope that as the chicks get older and bigger she will leave them alone. My husband said when they are a little older he wants to let the rooster take a peck at Mona. We don't want to hurt her, but deter her from wanting to eat them. For now the chicks are triple enclosed away from Mona so she can't get to them if she wants to.

Vanna was the runt too. She was so easy to spot because the other chicks are so much bigger. She was my favorite. I knew it wasn't wise to have a favorite...something always happens to the favorite.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss, too.

A few days ago we lost our cockeral, Rocky. Partly it was my fault.. we all have the flu, I had let them out to free-range, and forgot my flashlight at close-up time. He must've been roosting in a tree, and I didn't realize it.

The next morning he was dead on the lawn. I'm pretty sure it was one of my dogs (not eaten), but I don't know for sure. It was horrible. I cried all day, and the next. I'm still not over it.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your babies, and especially the newest. Good luck with the rest. Sometimes they seem so hearty, and other times.. it's hard not knowing what to do to help.

-Meghan

I am glad you are working with your dog but please do not think that you can "train" this out of her... you might up the chances that she will not attack/play with them while you are present ... do NOT trust this dog around your birds.

I am so sorry for your loss. Nothing anyone does or say can take away the pain or the void you feel. Please do not blame yourself. My hubby and I were out in the coops Sunday cleaning them out. The chickens were free ranging. Our four Newfoundlands were on tie outs since were are still in the process of building their kennels. Anyway we heard a noise and I can't tell you what the noise sounded like. It happened so fast. We looked out the coop window and found that two of our dogs had one of our NHR's. He and I ran so fast that later after the excitement died down, my stomach muscles hurt so bad. We ran and were able to get the dogs to release her and she went running off. A few feathers thinner, but the hen was unhurt. No pucture marks or anything. She ended up running to the one dog that she knew would not bother her. She laid down beside her and snuggled under Zoey's front legs. Zoey just licked her and consoled her. I truly thought my hubby was going to send those two dogs into orbit. It just goes to show that no matter how much you work with your dogs, they are still going to be dogs.

Back
Top Bottom