She is a he

Lisa Wood

Songster
7 Years
Mar 6, 2016
AIKEN, South Carolina
So I am a brand new chicken addict. I have ten six week old assorted breed chicks who were all suppossed to be pullets. One is a rooster, whose behavior Im not crazy about. He is not vicious with the girls, but not real nice either, and HATES for me to touch or hold him.
Is there any chance his behavior will improve as he matures? I dont want him terrorizing and raping the hens.
Lisa

6 weeks is pretty young to gauge how he will act. He is supposed to be stand offish, and i have had the best luck if i don't try to be too buddy buddy with the roos. If you really don't care for him though, now is a good time to try to rehome him.

6 weeks is pretty young to gauge how he will act. He is supposed to be stand offish, and i have had the best luck if i don't try to be too buddy buddy with the roos. If you really don't care for him though, now is a good time to try to rehome him.

No I don't hate him. I have just seen pics of hens totally raked and bloody across the back, and have an unfortunate tendancy to worry about that which has not happened. I have researched a little so I know how to proceed. I am not buddy buddy really with anyone but the two freindly Choc Orps.
I am afraid I made the mistake when in brooder of going over them to catch thrm up and do other stuff like feed. I cant see how any of them will now allow me to approach sideways, thsts why I still must trap in a corner and catch against their will except for the two mentioned.
Is there any way to repair my goof? If I try and spproach from the side, they run?
Lisa

No I don't hate him. I have just seen pics of hens totally raked and bloody across the back, and have an unfortunate tendancy to worry about that which has not happened. I have researched a little so I know how to proceed. I am not buddy buddy really with anyone but the two freindly Choc Orps.
I am afraid I made the mistake when in brooder of going over them to catch thrm up and do other stuff like feed. I cant see how any of them will now allow me to approach sideways, thsts why I still must trap in a corner and catch against their will except for the two mentioned.
Is there any way to repair my goof? If I try and spproach from the side, they run?
Lisa
Remember things that kill and eat chickens like hawks and owls attack from overhead. Is it any wonder then that chickens will explode like a land mine if you try to approach them from above? Don't feed your birds in the AM but do sit down with them every morning with a little feed and gently encourage them to come to you. WHAT EVER YOU DO, don't try to chase, grab, or pick up a chicken until you have established a trusting relationship.

Remember things that kill and eat chickens like hawks and owls attack from overhead.  Is it any wonder then that chickens will explode like a land mine if you try to approach them from above?  Don't feed your birds in the AM but do sit down with them every morning with a little feed and gently encourage  them to come to you.  WHAT EVER YOU DO, don't try to chase, grab, or pick up a chicken until you have established a trusting relationship.

Thanks. I totally understand my screw up. It just never dawned on me to raise coop up on a table. I will know if thete is ever a next time.
Do you think I can undo and get them to trust me after the fact? Its kinda hard to work with the damaged ones cause they all hang back and freindly pushy ones crowd in. Unless I purposely seperate them, which involves me catching yhem?! Its a Catch 22!

If I were you, I'd not focus on trying to turn them into lap chickens. Enjoy the 2 friendly ones. When they are up close and friendly, (best to let them approach you instead of you catching and holding them) lavish them with tasty treats. Only give the treats to them, and only give treats to the others when they approach to take them from your hands.

If I were you, I'd not focus on trying to turn them into lap chickens.  Enjoy the 2 friendly ones.  When they are up close and friendly, (best to let them approach you instead of you catching and holding them) lavish them with tasty treats.  Only give the treats to them, and only give treats to the others when they approach to take them from your hands.  

Love it. Makes total sense. Im doing it. Sidenote: Now that I know she is a he, his behavior makes WAY more sense. I kept wondering why she had different agenda then the rest, running around like a chicken instead of chilling and eating, doin the fun chicken stuff. But once he is satisfied everything is good, and he counts? the girls, he chills out. I don't think they can count, but that's sure what it looks like! There are 9 girls.

Thanks. I totally understand my screw up. It just never dawned on me to raise coop up on a table. I will know if thete is ever a next time.
Do you think I can undo and get them to trust me after the fact? Its kinda hard to work with the damaged ones cause they all hang back and freindly pushy ones crowd in. Unless I purposely seperate them, which involves me catching yhem?! Its a Catch 22!
Forget about raising them up to your level, you'll have to hover over or on top of them to do that. Instead get down with your backside flat on the ground with your peeps and soon you'll seem like a flock member. That is the beauty of a feed bucket or old stump, it puts you down at your chickens' level. Start out siting flat on the ground and soon they will be climbing on you, just don't grab one or pick it up until it is comfortable standing in your open hand. If you are afraid that you'll get chicken poo on your self, don't be. That is why Henry Ford invented paper towels.
wink.png

Forget about raising them up to your level, you'll have to hover over or on top of them to do that.  Instead get down with your backside flat on the ground with your peeps and soon you'll seem like a flock member.  That is the beauty of a feed bucket or old stump, it puts you down at your chickens' level.  Start out siting flat on the ground and soon they will be climbing on you, just don't grab one or pick it up until it is comfortable standing in your open hand.  If you are afraid that you'll get chicken poo on your self, don't be.  That is why Henry Ford invented paper towels.;)

LOL! A little chicken poo never hurt anything....,....thank God aye? I have a Gofin Cockatoo who I let sit on my head during an in house window sales presentation. +I thought it was time for the guy to leave.) I ignored when my bird said he had to go, so he let a huge poop go on my head, it kinda started dripping a little down in eye shot on loose hair hanging out of a pony tail. I thought my late husband would loose it he got so tickled. The window guy acted like there was no bird, no poop, nothing on my head and didnt miss a beat.
Thats dedication. I would have switched from selling to laughing!
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom