She is a he

LOL! A little chicken poo never hurt anything....,....thank God aye? I have a Gofin Cockatoo who I let sit on my head during an in house window sales presentation. +I thought it was time for the guy to leave.) I ignored when my bird said he had to go, so he let a huge poop go on my head, it kinda started dripping a little down in eye shot on loose hair hanging out of a pony tail. I thought my late husband would loose it he got so tickled. The window guy acted like there was no bird, no poop, nothing on my head and didnt miss a beat.
Thats dedication. I would have switched from selling to laughing!
Lisa
I would buy a ticket to see that.

:
Huh? I thought he invented cars. You know, the Ford kind?
And Ford automobiles as well as paper towels both come off of an assembly line.

So, I'm probably obsessing over the Accidental Rooster Cogburn. Knowing I was buying auto sexed females, I did hours and hours of reading, excluding breeding, hatching, and ROOSTERS!? So now I feel I am behind the ball.
Six and a half week Golden Cuckoo Marans, with nine same age assorted breed pullets.,i mentioned in an earlier post it looks like he is counting the girls. Thats a joke, but he does run back and forth to seperate little groups, untill hes satisfied they are all present. Like his own roll call. No interaction with girls at this time. If a girl escaped the run and he did not witness it, would he know the next time he "counted" them? This question not neccessary, just because it is fascinating to me.
I was going to be Proactive and at least hold him, not for lovey dovey stuff, but just to make him stop struggling and get accustomed to it. Someone said that he recommends against doing any type of Proactive work, because if he does NOT see you as threat or competition, he very well may after he has been dominated.What do ya'll think?
I have witnessed him mounting/attempting to mount several times. I chaulked it up to similar to a young male puppy, who humps everything/everyone he can reach. And people run around the house screaming "stop humping". Now of course I didnt yell at Rooster Cogburn.....During these sessions the girl is chatty, but does not seem like she was being hurt.
NOW I have witnessed something else. He jumped on the same pullet from behind, grabbeto some neck feathers and slid off that quick, she sounded very much like it hurt/she was being chicken raped, etc. This time I screamed involuntarily, (years of dogs/horses) and he either lost his grip or was startled into letting go.
I know some other specie's females are used at the male's pleasure, but I just dont want them misused., I am thinking of squirting him with water when he is mounted and shes screaming. I know it has worked on my Cockatoo for negative reinforcement to extinguish undesirable behavior. What do you guys think?
Also, he is way small and does not seem to grow like the others. He does'nt try the huge Orpingtons!

Sorry so long. Its part of my condition, so to speak. :)
Lisa

Birds are all 6 1/2 weeks?
6 week olds don't really 'mount', they may spar fight tho, all genders....more about dominance than sex.
You may be reading too much into what you are seeing......just keep observing.

Do they have lots of space?
How many birds in how much space (feet by feet)?
Crowding can cause increased aggression.

I continue to handle cockerels, just not nearly as much as I do the pullets.
They all need to be handled, they all need to understand that they won't 'die' if handled.
Just matter of factly(calm, cool, collected) pick them up, hold until they stop struggling, examine them then put them back down, holding for a second with feet on the ground before calmly releasing.

Birds are all 6 1/2 weeks?
6 week olds don't really 'mount', they may spar fight tho, all genders....more about dominance than sex.
You may be reading too much into what you are seeing......just keep observing.

Do they have lots of space?
How many birds in how much space (feet by feet)?
Crowding can cause increased aggression.

I continue to handle cockerels, just not nearly as much as I do the pullets.
They all need to be handled, they all need to understand that they won't 'die' if handled.
Just matter of factly(calm, cool, collected) pick them up, hold until they stop struggling, examine them then put them back down, holding for a second with feet on the ground before calmly releasing.

Yes, they are all 6.5 weeks. Their coop is 6' x 6.5'. The run right now is about 10 x 50, with the coop in it. Whole thing is covered in netting, and they fly alot. The finished run size is 10 x 70.
Point taken on holding. I agree.
Thanks so much! It is good news I am not seeing sex, as it still gives me hope the girls wont be molested.

Quote: How many birds?

Animal sex can look and be rough.....using terms like molestation, and especially rape, is rather a stretch tho.
Know that the cockerel will be ready to mate before the pullets are, at about 4-5 months....then you'll see some rough stuff.

How many birds?

Animal sex can look and be rough.....using terms like molestation, and especially rape, is rather a stretch tho.
Know that the cockerel will be ready to mate before the pullets are, at about 4-5 months....then you'll see some rough stuff.

Right. Ok, let me ask these basic chicken sex questionsl How often does rooster want sex on average? I keep hearing about people having to get more hens to accomodate him. That one male should have around ten hens.
Is there ever a time when hen is receptive? Are they ever both in agreement. You know, consentual sex?! LOL

I have bred dogs and horses. The female was in agreement, no matter how crazy things got. In other words since hens dont have a specific time for breeding, rooster just services her whenever he wants?
Lisa

Sometimes the hens do want to be mounted and they do that when the rooster walks up and does his little dance for the hens. The hens will either squat if they want to be mounted or will walk away. But consentual sex... Im not sure.

Quote: I don't think there's a pat answer for that...depends on the cockbird.
The hens/pullets are usually receptive if they are sexually mature and of good health to produce eggs.....
.....she may not submit for a multitude of reasons, a good cockbird will leave her alone...a bad cockbird might continue to pursue her and should end up in the stew pot. Although chickens, like some other animals might reproduce all year long rather than in a 'season', they can often be much more sexually active in the spring and summer.
The oft cited 10:1 thing is about efficient fertility rates in a commercial setting...doesn't have anything to do with backyard flocks.

I don't think there's a pat answer for that...depends on the cockbird.
The hens/pullets are usually receptive if they are sexually mature and of good health to produce eggs.....
.....she may not submit for a multitude of reasons, a good cockbird will leave her alone...a bad cockbird might continue to pursue her and should end up in the stew pot. Although chickens, like some other animals might reproduce all year long rather than in a 'season', they can often be much more sexually active in the spring and summer.
The oft cited 10:1 thing is about efficient fertility rates in a commercial setting...doesn't have anything to do with backyard flocks.

I am becoming a little enamored with the Accidental Roo. I wish it did not make a difference for me, but it does. His markings are breath taking. His ears are bright red accentuating red red comb and wattles. Light gold eye. Geese if I keep talking Imma Gonna start to show chickens!
But, he backs off sometimes, and allows girl to eat first. He is on the job herding and calling everyone at roost time, and is patient but insistent till all are safe. If I handle one, he is watchful of me, along side with lazer focus.
I am sure he is no more intelligent than the girls, but he just seems so because he is a leader and knows his name. .

Back
Top Bottom