She just wants to hatch some eggs

hlhutchinson

Songster
5 Years
Aug 26, 2015
Casper Wyo
Barbecue is broody again. We got our chickens last spring and after she started laying eggs about 2 weeks later she went broody, and she’s at it again.
I keep telling her we do not have a rooster so her eggs and the other gals will not turn into babies. She will not believe me.
I’m hoping she will break by just continuing to remove her from the nest and blocking it after all the other girls are done.
Poor thing when I remove her she just sits there still all poofed up like what just happened
C0ACD3CE-EFD7-4D6A-8D00-72CDC33C43F7.jpeg

I have two broody hens right now, and no plans to have eggs to hatch for almost two more weeks. They are not happy!
Get her some hatching eggs if you will be able to cope with chicks.
Mary

If you want to try breaking her, keep her in isolation for a few days, locked in a cat or dog crate, something like that, so she can't access the nest boxes

Or maybe just let her hatch two or three eggs? Chances are you'll get at least one rooster, if not more so you'll have to figure out what to do with them. But that might work short term? She will go broody again eventually. What breed is she?

If you want to try breaking her, keep her in isolation for a few days, locked in a cat or dog crate, something like that, so she can't access the nest boxes

Or maybe just let her hatch two or three eggs? Chances are you'll get at least one rooster, if not more so you'll have to figure out what to do with them. But that might work short term? She will go broody again eventually. What breed is she?
She is a Wyandotte cross, if she hatched eggs won’t she just go broody again after they are bigger?

Back
Top Bottom