She raised a dove for 3 years, then gave it to me. ITS A PIGEON! hah

A.J.'s

Songster
11 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Tennessee
18332_img_0108.jpg

and what kind of pigeon can this be?
Resident of my town saw my aviary while passing by and came by and asked if I wanted this beautiful Dove. I said yes and even I did not notice or pay enough attention to see that it is a pigeon.
A female. who is mean as a whip. She has killed several doves and rules the roost with a mean hand.
Totally tame and sweet as long as she is the only one getting attention. yes she is separated now from the others..
she needs a mate. I dont know any one in my area that would have one. Guess I should put an ad in a paper.
Does anyone know what breed she is or does anyone have a mate that is not expensive I can buy. Or trade for some beautiful white ring necks?
My white ring necks have come from several breeds. I dont have a clue to anything about breeding. I just had 3 that I acquired and I let them fly together and now I have about 25 or more of the m ost beautiful birds Ive ever seen. Tangerine, tan, white and tan, blue looking, gray, snow white with red eyes. on and on.
My way is probably lazy and such, but I was left to take care of them with no instructions or ideas except to feed them and keep them safe and clean. Iv e done that quite well. but there is cross breeding and in breeding going on in that aviary and I dont see any bad affects of it. or effects whichever is appropriate...

Last edited:
Doves and Pigeons same? no no no no no..
They are quite different. Cant imagine how I did not notice when she brought her to me.
Doves suck their liquids thus have a rounded beak like a straw and pigeons have a sharp pointed one that can peck a baby doves head open in two pecks. ugh.. and eat the brain so fast it would amaze you.
Also they are much larger than doves. I compare her to a foot ball player and an aggressive one at that.
Doves are small and dainty and sweet. Drew, the name changed from Andrew after she laid her first egg, is bold and daring and very aggressive.
She was raised inside and was adored and she is spoiled rotten. Wont give a dove a seed if she can help it. Sure wont allow a dove inside the cote, out of the wind and rain. so.. she is alone again and its sad. But necessary. Thats why she needs a mate.

18332_img_0137.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
She looks like a homing pigeon

and yes i second that pigeons ARE very different from doves. They are in the same scientific type of genetic background, and they can interbreed for hybrids but it's not that common. Doves are tiny delicate, Pigeons are tough and are the ones that most consider dirty and rat like (though I don't agree).

I love pigeons over doves any day
smile.png

She's very pretty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeons

(normally seen in wedding and funeral releases, they are called "doves" but that's only for astetic reasons they are really pigeons much bigger than doves...I dont know of any doves that can home).

and heres info about release doves (aka homing pigeons and it even comments on how doves arent perfered because they arent good at homing): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_Dove

Last edited:
I second monarc's opinion that it's a homer. We have a pair that are white as well. I don't know where in TN you are, but if you are anywhere close to Adair Co. KY, you could stop by and check them out. Dad has too many as it is. I got them for him, and he wasn't supposed to keep them all!!! I was giving some to a friend, and selling the rest...he decided differently
hmm.png

If she's human imprinted, she might attack the male you get for her too. Just get her any regular pigeon male as I highly doubt she's a purebred. Get a really bossy one as he might have a better chance at giving back what he gets.

Yes she is a white homer, looks pure, but may not be out of racing homers. Get her a mate, Most pigeon will kill the smaller ringneck doves.

The white dove used for Wedding release are really white homers. That maybe the reason she thought it was a dove.

Yep, she looks like a homer/x.
Homers have pronounced white ceres above their nose as you probably know.
Your girl must be a cross so may not have the stronger homing instinct.
Get her a male but only if you want lots of littlies!!
They breed so fast,, next thing youll have 100s!
try going to http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/index.php
they
might have a nice person who could give her a home or send you a boyfriend for her.
She looks just like my "Georgie" a pretty face too.

Back
Top Bottom