She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Love the pic!! To be honest, reptiles were not my thing, so to speak. My youngest sons dad said he was quite the reptile expert and had raised them all his life. So I never really looked into her care that much, I thought it was under control. Then when she was sick and suffering, I took over. Her care was "okay" but now that I've done my homework, if I can get her healthy again, she will become MY pet and get the absolute best care. Vet called with all the results this morning. Her fecal was clear, no parasites. But her wbc was sky high. She is having trouble breathing, a head tilt, walking in circles and no appetite and was not going to the bathroom. The last few weeks, I thought she was going into brumation too (and she probably is). I know she has a respiratory infection. Im hoping the head tilt/circles is an inner ear infection. The labs showed inflammation too. She's on once a day intramuscular antibiotic, and once a day metacam for pain/inflammation and calcium, both oral. And I'm force feeding her, soaking her in warm water, changed all her UVB bulbs, put 3 calibrated thermometers around her tank, and bought new greens and some pinky mice. I'm planning on getting those mercury vapor bulbs. Do you use a red light at night and/or a heating pad under the tank? Any info is greatly appreciated! She is 2 & 1/2 and laid 2 clutches of 30 eggs this summer. Housed alone. 60 gal aquarium. Doesn't like veggies much but likes crickets and worms. Basking light and UVB on top of screen lid.

I sent you a pm about this :)

Why sterile? Because she's a hybrid? Is she? I've fallen in love with geese!

Yep, it's because they are a hybrid of two two different species, like a mule.

I LOVE it! A bottle baby? Our first bull calf was my baby until he learned what heifers and cows were.  My DH would get so mad at me because I wanted to keep him innocent and a pet:D   Cattle are in the top 12 animals that kill people.  That's scary!

Yes, im weaning him for sale :) i keep telling myself if hes sweet and managable, then Maybe he wont be eaten... Fat chance, i understand that, therefore he is on a pretty high feed intake. 4 bottles a day, and still hungry enuff to start calf grain :) i totally believe that theyd make the top 12, my research told me i have to really look out for aggresive behaviors because he will be a one ton dangerous animal.

Drinking about a gallon, maybe a lil less each day, and he ate half that grain while i was out there coaxin him into it, at 3 wks old i dont think hes doin too shabby :)

Ok, mid-June with my cochins.  I couldn't remember which set this came from   :lol:
And if you ever decide you want to try to mail a live one... think of me  :D

Dawwww  :love

I'm with ya there!  You go girl! :thumbsup

I know that u can totally imagin, im terrified of that beast getting enourmous and squashin me like a bug! Thats why i have outlet plans early on :thumbsup he Cant be my pet, even if i Did name him ;) "Mr. Bullwinkle"

Thanks! They were born mid June. They all get along good so I was thinking of keeping them till spring, more bodies will be more warmth, right? Then keeping my white cockerel and one of the new male babies. But come spring, a few boys will have to go.
I can't wait for you to hatch them!!
I know, can't wait to watch them grow out and in spring you can hatch their eggs!!
I can't wait either!! lol

Haha! No.
lau.gif
really todays the first i put that on him and hes rather mad about it
gig.gif
ever seen a mad baby bull? Our goal is to make him more managable by teaching him. Ive got to learn castrastion also for the same reason. He wont stay here for more than 6months but i am a small female, and i NEED him to be managable. Mean critters are cooked around here.

This is the second step. First i had let him wear a halter in his pen for a week before he busted it off. Now i leave him tied up so he learns to respect the harness... Next i lead him back to his now clean pen with the bottle and he learns to follow the lead. Gonna be fun this is my first time with a calf much less Training him
smile.png
thanks for askin
Too cute!

I sent you a pm about this
smile.png

Yep, it's because they are a hybrid of two two different species, like a mule.
All this talk about geese....if I were going to have geese, I'd want a couple sebbies.
big_smile.png
At least, I think....by looks I'd want some...lol

Nice garden!!
All this talk about geese....if I were going to have geese, I'd want a couple sebbies.
big_smile.png
At least, I think....by looks I'd want some...lol
x2!

Hey, guys! long time no read. :D Our PC has been funky lately and keeps booting into X drive instead of C. Since X doesn't exist, this makes computing difficult. lol We are trouble shooting and trying to figure it out. I'm in safe mode right now.
hide.gif
but is it safe?

Anyway, we got our first shipment of eggs yesterday. :D 24 Rhode Island Reds from Ken Weaver(with a little help from Fred's Hens). They were packed in peanuts and bubbles--just how we like em! Unfortunately, the Postal workers missed his labeling and didn't hold for pick-up. Then our postal carrier decided to throw the box on the porch. . . literally. FORTUNATELY, all the air cells are still attached(except #14)!
yesss.gif
A little wiggly(loose), but still in the right place and right shape. So, they have been resting since they got here(26 hours) and I have been reading. I read the BYC guide to shipped eggs as well as this one: https://mbasic.facebook.com/notes/f...beth-white-via-cheryl-shires/548615281826504/
frow.gif
Hi, Ruby!

Our bator is up and ready and holding steady, this is the warmest part of the day so I am fixing to set them. My question is, should I wait the full 7 days before turning them? Turn them gently by hand--ever so slightly, or just plug the turner in and go for it? I am trying to tell myself that waiting to turn is best, but I am scared of embryos sticking.

Incubation method is "dry" and upright, right?

What would the experts do?

Yes, im weaning him for sale
smile.png
i keep telling myself if hes sweet and managable, then Maybe he wont be eaten... Fat chance, i understand that, therefore he is on a pretty high feed intake. 4 bottles a day, and still hungry enuff to start calf grain
smile.png
i totally believe that theyd make the top 12, my research told me i have to really look out for aggresive behaviors because he will be a one ton dangerous animal.

Drinking about a gallon, maybe a lil less each day, and he ate half that grain while i was out there coaxin him into it, at 3 wks old i dont think hes doin too shabby
smile.png

I know that u can totally imagin, im terrified of that beast getting enourmous and squashin me like a bug! Thats why i have outlet plans early on
thumbsup.gif
he Cant be my pet, even if i Did name him
wink.png
"Mr. Bullwinkle"

He sure is pretty. I really like his face markings. I love the name! I named ours Jr. Jr. got in trouble with the girls (he wouldn't stay home, jumped fences, we leased him to a friend who had 24 open cows and when he got through there he jumped fences and crossed a major FM road to get to some more girls. The Sheriff caught him and penned him up. My friend told him she didn't know whose bull it was, lol. My DH picked him up and took him straight to the sale barn
hit.gif
. Black Angus so I'm sure he got eaten
hit.gif

Nice garden!!
x2!

Hey, guys! long time no read. :D Our PC has been funky lately and keeps booting into X drive instead of C. Since X doesn't exist, this makes computing difficult. lol We are trouble shooting and trying to figure it out. I'm in safe mode right now.
hide.gif
but is it safe?

Anyway, we got our first shipment of eggs yesterday. :D 24 Rhode Island Reds from Ken Weaver(with a little help from Fred's Hens). They were packed in peanuts and bubbles--just how we like em! Unfortunately, the Postal workers missed his labeling and didn't hold for pick-up. Then our postal carrier decided to throw the box on the porch. . . literally. FORTUNATELY, all the air cells are still attached(except #14)!
yesss.gif
A little wiggly(loose), but still in the right place and right shape. So, they have been resting since they got here(26 hours) and I have been reading. I read the BYC guide to shipped eggs as well as this one: https://mbasic.facebook.com/notes/f...beth-white-via-cheryl-shires/548615281826504/
frow.gif
Hi, Ruby!

Our bator is up and ready and holding steady, this is the warmest part of the day so I am fixing to set them. My question is, should I wait the full 7 days before turning them? Turn them gently by hand--ever so slightly, or just plug the turner in and go for it? I am trying to tell myself that waiting to turn is best, but I am scared of embryos sticking.

frow.gif
Gachooks!

Candling tonight for day 7!!!!!!! I will post updates after I do it!!!
WooHoo!!

Just for you :love

Hes aweful mad at me right now! Were beggining some lead training so hes left tied up out there right now.

:lau the rope halter i made didnt hold tugther i have to try that again but in the meantime i have him in a dog harness :gig

Haha! No. :lau really todays the first i put that on him and hes rather mad about it :gig ever seen a mad baby bull? Our goal is to make him more managable by teaching him. Ive got to learn castrastion also for the same reason. He wont stay here for more than 6months but i am a small female, and i NEED him to be managable. Mean critters are cooked around here.

This is the second step. First i had let him wear a halter in his pen for a week before he busted it off. Now i leave him tied up so he learns to respect the harness... Next i lead him back to his now clean pen with the bottle and he learns to follow the lead. Gonna be fun this is my first time with a calf much less Training him :) thanks for askin

Thanks for the pics!!! He is awesome! It's so nice to hear about you working with him and training him! You're being a very good mama! I love the pictures. He's just adorable. Enjoy him while you have him. Does he have a name?
Ok, mid-June with my cochins.  I couldn't remember which set this came from   :lol:
And if you ever decide you want to try to mail a live one... think of me  :D

I will! That sounds like a good plan!

Nice garden!!
x2!

Hey, guys!  long time no read. :D  Our PC has been funky lately and keeps booting into X drive instead of C.  Since X doesn't exist, this makes computing difficult. lol We are trouble shooting and trying to figure it out.  I'm in safe mode right now. :oops: [SUP]but is it safe?[/SUP]

Anyway, we got our first shipment of eggs yesterday. :D  24 Rhode Island Reds from Ken Weaver(with a little help from Fred's Hens).  They were packed in peanuts and bubbles--just how we like em! Unfortunately, the Postal workers missed his labeling and didn't hold for pick-up.  Then our postal carrier decided to throw the box on the porch. . . literally.  FORTUNATELY, all the air cells are still attached(except #14)! :yesss: A little wiggly(loose), but still in the right place and right shape.  So, they have been resting since they got here(26 hours) and I have been reading.  I read the BYC guide to shipped eggs as well as this one: https://mbasic.facebook.com/notes/f...beth-white-via-cheryl-shires/548615281826504/  :frow [SUP]Hi, Ruby![/SUP]

Our bator is up and ready and holding steady, this is the warmest part of the day so I am fixing to set them.  My question is, should I wait the full 7 days before turning them?  Turn them gently by hand--ever so slightly, or just plug the turner in and go for it?  I am trying to tell myself that waiting to turn is best, but I am scared of embryos sticking.

Hi!! Glad to hear from you!! If your aircells are looking good then I would only wait 48 hours with no touching. Then do a very gentle candle. If some are still loose, give those an extra 24 hours. Otherwise start tilting the rest, gently at a 45 degree angle. Do you have an auto-turner? Can you change settings? Are you available to hand turn? What incubator do you have again? I wouldn't go dry the first week. (This is just my opinion and experience). I would go for 40-45% the first week until the air cells heal and firm up.

Thanks for the pics!!! He is awesome! It's so nice to hear about you working with him and training him! You're being a very good mama! I love the pictures. He's just adorable. Enjoy him while you have him. Does he have a name?
Hi!! Glad to hear from you!! If your aircells are looking good then I would only wait 48 hours with no touching. Then do a very gentle candle. If some are still loose, give those an extra 24 hours. Otherwise start tilting the rest, gently at a 45 degree angle. Do you have an auto-turner? Can you change settings? Are you available to hand turn? What incubator do you have again? I wouldn't go dry the first week. (This is just my opinion and experience). I would go for 40-45% the first week until the air cells heal and firm up.

Im glad you like them :) more to come, hopefully with growth measurments as well. And then yes sale price... Im very curious what the turn around is going to look like... I want to accept this as my leg up into cattle. Plan is, if i can lease a pasture, i can raise 8 calves on 5 nanny goats' milk. They would be very cost effective and make an excellent turn around. Now, to get everyone on board, and move forward!

Shhhhh! But i can raise an Unlimited number of chicks if i can lease a pasture! ShhhhhhhHHH!!!

frow.gif
Gachooks!

WooHoo!!
woot.gif
highfive.gif

Good to get just a bit caught up with you guys too! We have a forced air incubator(styro revamp) and an auto turner but no settings on that. I'll take your advice and put it to use. Thanks a bunch.
hugs.gif
I'm so excited! And knowledgeable of how insane I am. . . I didn't even make it 2 months. We have 55 chickens now!

Good luck with your baby, @mixedUPturk and the castration. . .
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom