She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

I'm going to erase most of my multiquote because it's already been answered! I'll just say I agree with all the different advice given in the last 24 hours!
wink.png

I bought the cheap corrugated plastic roofing panels. I forget the name but there's a few threads on them. They are already starting to warp. I was thinking of replacing them in spring but with better quality. Do you prefer tin to the good quality stuff I'm talking about??
It looks like it's connected at the top. The pics of double yolkers I've seen, have more of a point at the middle and you can clearly see two different embryos developing on each side. Do any others look like that? Keep an eye on it. Does it look like two separate embryos on each side?
It could be that the air cells on the "clears" we're detached? When I have totally detached air cells, they won't even start to develop. They will just look clear.
Are you wanting to hatch peas? My neighbor threw out about 250 fertile eggs last spring! If you want eggs, I could probably get them cheap from him. He might even just give me some and I could send them for shipping cost. I took 6 last spring. All were fertile, 2 died first week. 1 died in lockdown and 3 hatched healthy!
I had one like that, I think. And I was told here that it wasn't cracks but happened inside the hen before being laid. I'll find a pic and you tell me if it looks the same.
I wouldn't throw good money after bad buying the plastic panels. I made that mistake 40 yrs. ago when I built my 1st kennel. I used the special strips that match the peaks & valleys, the special nails with the rubber grommets, & the wind still tore them up in no time. What the wind didn't destroy, the UV did. SC had the right idea; go with the galvanized panels

It's crazy how addictive hatching is.

I've cross posted that I will hatch my eggs or someone else's eggs...I need a hatching fix and won't be able to hatch any of my own before March.

I've cross posted that I will hatch my eggs or someone else's eggs...I need a hatching fix and won't be able to hatch any of my own before March.
Quote:

times3!

I'm dying to know if my LO eggs are even fertile, but I can't hatch any right now either. I wouldn't want to hatch these first eggs anyway (gotten 4 so far) so I guess I'll crack them open tonight and check them. I keep wanting to put them in the bator and see if they start developing, but I'd never be able to stop if I saw veins, so I guess I'll just check for a bullseye.
hmm.png

D*** addicts, we are.

I cant tell if this is a scratch in the ducks waxy coating or a crack :(

If it is will it still make it to hatch? The little bugger is very active :)

Looks more like a blemish in the shell from when it was formed... wouldn't worry about it... as Ronott1 said, cracks glow really bright when candled... and if the membrane is compromised you would be able to see a slight discoloration spreading out from the crack w/out the light...

After all his complaining about ducks in the house, my OH is going crazy about the Call eggs we're getting now... looks like we're in for winter brooding ducklings... :/

If he complains this time I'll make him take care of them... :gig

Last night was the first step in making my incubator. I cleaned out the cooler and put in the glass viewing window. Also starting cutting and stripping the ends of the wire. My husband lent a hand and we are wiring up the light sockets. I had to get the wide ceramic base ones because that's all Menard's had in stock.

My question is how to attach them to the side of the Styrofoam cooler. Drill a hole big enough for the entire socket or just enough to feed the wires through and attach with nuts/bolts?

Also, electrical makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten learning to write my name in cursive.
hmm.png

Last night was the first step in making my incubator. I cleaned out the cooler and put in the glass viewing window. Also starting cutting and stripping the ends of the wire. My husband lent a hand and we are wiring up the light sockets. I had to get the wide ceramic base ones because that's all Menard's had in stock.

My question is how to attach them to the side of the Styrofoam cooler. Drill a hole big enough for the entire socket or just enough to feed the wires through and attach with nuts/bolts?

Also, electrical makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten learning to write my name in cursive.
hmm.png
If the ceramic bases are drilled to accommodate mounting screws (all I've seen are) just use the largest diameter bolt that will fit thru the hole & add a large flat washer outside the cooler that fits the bolt (to keep the bolt from pulling thru the cooler side), and snug it all down with a nut. No reason I know to make the hole any larger than needed to get wires through.

Last edited:
If the ceramic bases are drilled to accommodate mounting screws (all I've seen are) just use the largest diameter bolt that will fit thru the hole & add a large flat washer outside the cooler that fits the bolt (to keep the bolt from pulling thru the cooler side), and snug it all down with a nut. No reason I know to make the hole any larger than needed to get wires through.

That is what I was thinking. Thank you. I will scrounge in the junk box tonight for them. Pretty sure my junk box is the entire garage though. That's what happens when you share tools.
th.gif

hmm.png

If it were me, I'd go back to Menards and find a couple of these: http://www.menards.com/main/p-1444429530415-c-7526.htm?tid=8396000039783335646 You mount them from the inside of the cooler. Other styles will work too. The porcelain sockets are really heavy if you screw them to a wimpy piece of plastic.

Back
Top Bottom