She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Sisters sitting on their nest,it's the only way they get any peace from Jacob their beau! I am not quite sure how many eggs they have under them. I saw a few when they were shifting around. I also have a lavender ameraucana sitting. She is a growler.

Last edited:
OMG, The girls in my second coop see to always have someone who thinks they need to be broody, and I am not interested in having broody hens...lol If I wanted one probably not a one would be that way! 

I am just going to let nature run its course, I have just hatched a bunch and have loads more in the incubators. I am excited to see the babies with their mummies.

So now we are getting three whites discovery that comes with bonus eggs and after that hatch the dozen. So what do I need to know about brooding got the lamp and a pack n play how long can they stay inside I still got to clean out a shed and make a run phew I am going be busy.

3 weeks is my max for chicks inside. And I'm talking small batches of a dozen or less. I use paper towels the first few days and shallow dishes for food and water. Then switch to bedding and regular chick feeders and waterers. I go down pretty fast with my heat and have them off by 4-5 weeks old. At about 2 weeks I start turning the heat off during the day and only on at night. You just have to experiment and find what works good for you.

Sisters sitting on their nest,it's the only way they get any peace from Jacob their beau! I am not quite sure how many eggs they have under them. I saw a few when they were shifting around. I also have a lavender ameraucana sitting. She is a growler.

That is the most beautiful picture!! I love it!!

It is sweet to see babies sticking their heads out from mommy's feathers, I will say that.

Yes, I will agree with that. I'm on my second broody and I think it's hard. I guess because my first was not a good mama. I just worry if my second will get them eating and drinking? They are in the coop. Should I put a small feeder and waterer near the nest? Can the chicks get over the lip? It's nerve wrecking!

I usually keep.mine in under heat lamp the first couple of weeks. Then I move to 75 watt light bulb for the next couple of weeks to eventually no light and transitioning to outside. So usually by 6 to 8 weeks I move them out unless it's warm then its sooner. Also I usually only have less than 12 also. ;)

RIP Victoria.

So sorry for your loss, hon... :hugs

If my fertility picks up in my Legbar pen, I'd be happy to send you some... :)

THAT IS GREAT NEWS, I will have to most definitely try it.  WOW, I'm sooo impressed, THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE.  perhaps now I can have some deattached to hatched and not stress any more or try to come up with a possiblity.  need to thank Ravyn's as well..

:D

I really found it is best to treat them like local eggs ASAP if possible... I feel at a certain point, damage within the egg is irreversible so no matter how hard you try with some they just won't make it... due to duck eggs doing best laying down, and especially Calls, I found I had better success with shipped getting them horizontal quicker and I don't go past 24hrs of upright w/out tilting... any longer and they stick to one side of the shell... in my experience, at least... :)

Check out this little cutie that hatched. I have no idea what color it is. It's looks white but it has chipmunk markings like a partridge and I don't think it's a paint because the black spots seem to be in a pattern, which paints would just have random spots like a Dalmatian.

I think i recall something similar to this, Ruby... that could have come out of the Paints... depending on the blacks used to breed into the paints... some blacks have been known to pop up with partridge occasionally... I think that *might have* happened... :confused:

If I take a pick of my the wire hanging down from incubator could you tell me which is for humanity.

Probably not... I'm not too familiar with different types of bators systems really... your best bet is to get 2 or 3 different separate thermometers and hygrometers, calibrate those, and keep those in the bator... never rely on just the bators thermo/hygro readings...

That is so sweet!! Growly is common for an Am broody... will she let you get under her though? Mine growls and puffs, but lets me do what I need too...

So sorry for your loss, hon... :hugs

If my fertility picks up in my Legbar pen, I'd be happy to send you some... :)
:D

I really found it is best to treat them like local eggs ASAP if possible... I feel at a certain point, damage within the egg is irreversible so no matter how hard you try with some they just won't make it... due to duck eggs doing best laying down, and especially Calls, I found I had better success with shipped getting them horizontal quicker and I don't go past 24hrs of upright w/out tilting... any longer and they stick to one side of the shell... in my experience, at least... :)
I think i recall something similar to this, Ruby... that could have come out of the Paints... depending on the blacks used to breed into the paints... some blacks have been known to pop up with partridge occasionally... I think that *might have* happened... :confused:
Probably not... I'm not too familiar with different types of bators systems really... your best bet is to get 2 or 3 different separate thermometers and hygrometers, calibrate those, and keep those in the bator... never rely on just the bators thermo/hygro readings...
That is so sweet!! Growly is common for an Am broody... will she let you get under her though? Mine growls and puffs, but lets me do what I need too...

I would be happy to have some more too. Keep me posted. My legbar boy was really depressed so I gave him 3 point of lay pullets to keep him happy. He needs to learn some manners though. He is gorgeous and I love him. I have a few nesting boxes in the Ameraucana pen and the other girls are laying in them. So I figured I will let her hatch what ever she has under her. I have been so busy lately it's hard to keep up with you all. I try to have a quick read through at bed time.

Back
Top Bottom