She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. sideWing

sideWing Songster

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah
    That's good to know. Were the chicks extra small to start with?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    They looked small compared to my previous hatches, but just as vigiorous and healthy as all the ones before them. I also use the sav a chick in the water the first couple days too, wether that makes a difference or not I can't say, but I generally don't have unknown post hatch deaths. Within a couple weeks they seemed to average out in size and I believe one of the polish (mixed) that I was so worried about with the egg being small is now one of if not the biggest chick out there...lol

1 person likes this.
  3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Crowing

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Looking good! I thought the marans eggs were darker when they first start laying and get lighter through the laying cycle. Do I have it backwards?
    Love him in this movie. One of my favorite classics!
    Good luck! Happy to see you setting again so soon!

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Crowing

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Amy, I figured out if you spray the plastic container for the veggie ice blocks with a little Pam cooking spray first, the ice blocks will slide right out! It's supposed to be very hot & humid again today. I'm thinking of putting a fan facing into the run, what do you think?

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm getting ready to take mine out for them as it's already getting too hot. Will a fan facing the run do much good?? I wouldn't think they'd get much beneit unless they were right in front of it, but I could be wrong. I'd sooner think facing it into the coop would provide a cooler get away, but I guess a lot depends on the actual set up.

6. scflock

scflock Crowing

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    That's ok, I like BR better than you, too [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have heard and read the same thing, but my experience with these pullets has been the reverse. I understand why grown hen's eggs would start darker and lighten through the cycle, but these pullets started of lighter and speckled at first, and have gotten darker over the first few weeks. Maybe the paint booths weren't complete yet. There are only a few that are really dark, though, so I'm hoping it gets better. If I can't breed some better birds than what I started with, I may bite the bullet and just buy some expensive eggs or chicks. I got lucky on my Ameraucanas, but kinda got screwed on the marans

7. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Crowing

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm debating myself if it will help or not. I can't get them to go into the coop! They just stay in the run. I already have an extension cord run out there so I will try it and see what happens.

I was looking around amazon trying to decide what substrate to use on the floor of the coop and I saw these nesting pads. They look kinda silly to me but they got great reviews. Anyone use nesting pads??
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CA...koop+clean&dpPl=1&dpID=51-8yeML0TL&ref=plSrch

8. scflock

scflock Crowing

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I've tried the fan, and they will get in front of it. The problem I have now is I have more pens than I have drop cords...
    This summer is awful. I'm so glad I roofed in the pens this year, or I would be in serious trouble. At least they have shade. My dream would to be to have a pond where I could set up a pump to keep water flowing through troughs, but I don't have enough drainage from the property to maintain a pond. They really liked it when I sprayed the runs down Saturday, but during the week there is no way. Come on October!!!

9. scflock

scflock Crowing

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I'm glad I clicked that link. I don't know that I would go that route myself, but Excelsior matting is actually a matting made to go on slopes to hold grass seed and prevent erosion until it grows (I'm a construction guy). If you are interested in doing that, it would be much, much cheaper to buy a roll of it from a landscape supply and cut your own squares [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. chicapee

chicapee Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    Thank you. This is so exciting. The best of wishes for your hatch. The support on this thread is tremendous. This is my 3rd and best hatch. I want to do some Ameraucana next, so I bid on some lavender eggs on ebay. I really don't like to do the shipped eggs, but there is nothing in my neck of the woods. This will be my last hatch of the year. I have just started my flock and built it with all dual purpose breeds for a pretty basket with out waste. The extra boys will all be called dinner. I only have one extra so far.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by