She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan

:lau

The purchased eggs surprised me. CCL, Ameraucana, Polish...the parents looked really nice but I guess the Roos are shooting blanks.

It figures my last set of the year would be the worst. It's almost not worth running the cabinet incubator for 8 eggs. Maybe I do need a Brinsea 20 for those small sets.

2. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop
    We had turkeys do this when I was a kid. It is there way to establish their pecking order vocally.
    Hahahhahahaha! !!:lau yes we do!!!

3. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop

Mine too!!!! I only have that one surviving egg out of 13. I paid a good penny for them too. Makes me sad.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Very pretty birds. I also have an EE Roo who will eventually meet my red sex links, so I guess I can see what they might look like!

I really like your black one in the 2nd photo and also the one that you say you are working toward. Well, they are all so pretty.

Awesome!

[​IMG]that really sucks.

5. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS

6. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    8 down 5 left to go, 2 have pipped.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I bet when you crack them open you'll find a couple red rings. With shipped eggs they'll start to develop but if the chalazae is not strong enough after shipping they get the red ring and die. It's not your typical red ring. It's hard to explain but I read it in an article on shipped eggs.
    I would reply but it's all Greek to me!! I do love the pics of the birds though. They're beautiful!
    Great job getting it out!! I had the same issue with the red protrusion. I did bacitracin for 2 days, like Amy mentioned.
    Ok thank you. There is a woman on the peafowl board that helps everybody convert the doses of medication for a single bird. If I can't figure it out I will ask her. I had a feeling that one was EE. I love the way they look as babies. Every time I see a baby like that I'm always asking! So I guess I know by now. Great job on the hatch!!
    This was great. It's as if the new one is asking permission to come in and big momma is giving her all the rules and guidelines if she wants to be a part of her flock. In my head I was envisioning a Disney movie that would have the animals talking to each other. Lol!!

8. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Someone is getting a little too big for her britches. After this multi quote, stay tuned for the new "South of the Border" [​IMG]

Summer shandy is a delicious ice cream.
    Pooh ripped off man behind the curtain from The Wizard of OZ
    [​IMG]
    I've candled before. Nothing red about that. Red would have been marking air cells on all of them. I candled 6 out of curiosity. This is my first set from this flock, so I'm curious about fertility

I don't have any candling photos, but here are the eggs before they were set. Some are a good bit lighter than others, but seem to be getting darker as the pullets get older
    [​IMG]

Ice cream... silkie's watching.
    Just remember this when I unveil the new [​IMG]

I was wondering the same thing, but saw her explanation after I quoted you.
    [​IMG]

9. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    scflock

scflock is a renowned expert in the community

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    No, I'm not getting emotionally attached to something that will die in less than a week. You.ve been asking for it, so here it comes. The new, never before seen "South of the Border" [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: ate half the pics [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by