She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Question, why the blue marans? Just a visual preference or would they pair better with the cream legbar for the sex link?

Pretty much any solid color works for sex-links, but I just like the look of the blues with the Cream Legbar crest...

I've used Wheaten over them before, but not really a fan of the look...

So really it's just personal preference... :)

Does the autosexing work with any color marans?

It's sex-linking not autosexing... autosexing means each consecutive generation is sexable at hatch, sex-linked is only sexable for that generation only...

If using a Marans over Cream Legbars, they can't be a barred Marans like the Cuckoo... it is the Cream Legbar hen that makes the chicks sex-linked by passing barring down only to her sons... if the roo is barred then he passes barribg down to all his offspring and those are not sexable...

We are hatching our first batch off eggs, in our incubator. We put 17 eggs in hoping to get s few. Today is day 10 and we candled the eggs. All but 1 appear to have babies in them. You can even see some of them moving. We are so excited. Day 21 happens to be my birthday so I really hope they hatch on time.

We are hatching our first batch off eggs, in our incubator. We put 17 eggs in hoping to get s few. Today is day 10 and we candled the eggs. All but 1 appear to have babies in them. You can even see some of them moving. We are so excited. Day 21 happens to be my birthday so I really hope they hatch on time.

Welcome to the thread and the hatching addiction!! :frow

Ok, ya can't just leave us all hanging... what breeds you got cooking? Shipped, own flock or local eggs? What are you cooking them in? Still air or fan circulated? Are you going to assist if needed or let nature take its course?

C'mon, were nosy around here and want all the deets!! :D ;)

I hope someone will know if the silkie feathers and/or lavender color would carry over. They both already have really dark gray legs.

All of my silkie crosses look like their momma which was a brahma, EE and splash Maran hen. Super pretty, not really any wispy feathers like a silkie. And they have crazy head feathers. Lol!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the confidence vote, but I only know enough to get me in trouble, lol... but I do know Lavender and Silkies... :D ;)
Couple of issues there... it's more successful to breed a bantam roo over a standard hen as the chick will usually grow too big for a bantam egg... also, most white (especially in Silkies) is recessive so breeding other colors to it is very unpredictable... you also only want to use black to mix in with Lavender as it breeds in and out well without leakage issues or surprise colors popping up... and Lavender color will only express if 2 copies are present in the bird... this is why I only use black splits in breeding my Lavs as the splits are carrying 1 copy of Lav but show black so offspring have 50/50 chance of being black split again or Lavender...
Also, Silkie feathers are always lost in a cross, the chick will have regular smooth feathers and you'd have to breed back to Silkie for the next generation to start getting the Silkie type feathering back...

Mmmm...I might have to use that to help with my case to sell them. All of my silkie crosses are roosters!!! Lol!!!

Candles my quail eggs tonight 54 developing out of 101. Not sure how long they were down before being picked up as they were given to me to hatch

Ehhh...that's a low number. But still better than 0! Lol!!

I got my first muddy eggs today...I wiped them with a dry paper towel. Are they still ok to incubate?

Yes. They should be fine.

Very welcome... you can always pm me too if you wish... :)
Dunno if I qualify for that category... think I'm in the "too crazy to risk trying to take out" group... :gig
If you get an Ovascope don't bother with the regular one, only go for the high intensity one... otherwise you'll end up needing to upgrade...
I was gonna get one but my phone works for most and my deWalt light works for all the rest... :D
Yep, you are lucky in how much simpler breeding turkeys is, color wise... but most chicken breeds (waterfowl too) follow similar rules... as long as you learn the different groups of colors and patterns and learn which ones can be bred together and cleanly breed back out you can do more than most think... I found learning about OEGB colors, patterns and breeding helped figure out most of the basics for many different breeds...
Welcome... I'm wanting to get a Blue Copper Marans roo to put over my Cream Legbar hens for sex-linked olive eggers... and I like how those look, lol... :)

Do you happen to have any pictures???

Welcome!!!! And as Ravyn stated....also to the addiction of hatching!!! :lau

Back
Top Bottom