She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Awesome, I'll check into that. That would save me alot of worry and problems with my Silkies and I won't have to worry about shavings in the water anymore with babies either. Do they instinctively know how to use it or do I have to show them at first?

We use the water nipples also. They make a huge difference. I start with both kind of waterers and by the 3rd day they have the nipple down so I pull the regular waterer. Hang it at eye level and their curiosity will take over and then raise it a bit so they stretch just a little bit to reach it. However, I do bump their beaks up to it a few times and let my finger catch the water next to their beak.
Yes, do this!

@Pyxis - you seem to be having a rough time lately. I'm sending good vibes your way. Sorry to hear about your broody and I hope Pepper heals up.
fl.gif

This weekend we finished up the bachelor pad for our new rooster, Monty. His full name is Ricardo Montalbawk- my husband named him. He is our first Polish and he is so mild.
love.gif
I don't think he's a standard color as he's like a backwards gold laced. Mostly black with tips of gold. His neck is black/gold combo. I'm sure he's no where near SOP but he's beautiful to us. I think he is rather lonely and needs some company so we are trying to decide which of our girls should be with him to make the most fun babies to hatch.
jumpy.gif
How long should he really be in quarantine? I get conflicting info from the interwebs.

Once he is better established I think I can focus on building my cheap incubator. I think I bought the last component for it today- a basic extension cord. I grabbed some red/black electrical wires of some old computers at work but am questioning if they will be thick enough to do the job. Any ideas how to measure or tell?

Use 16 ga or larger (smaller number is larger gauge) to be safe. Nothing in a computer would be appropriate other than the power cord or wires directly off the power supply that feed drives or the motherboard. The smaller wires are useless for carrying AC current.

16 gauge is good to 3.7A, or 444 watts total load. This is more than you will need for a small cabinet incubator for heating element and fan and even a turner.

If you are building a small desktop incubator, you can go with 18 gauge, and lamp cord will be fine. You can also salvage this from a cheap 2 wire extension cord. This is rated to 2.3A, or 276 watts total load.

Never load up to the maximum load or you will risk a fire.

Last edited:
Use 16 ga or larger (smaller number is larger gauge) to be safe. Nothing in a computer would be appropriate other than the power cord or wires directly off the power supply that feed drives or the motherboard. The smaller wires are useless for carrying AC current.

16 gauge is good to 3.7A, or 444 watts total load. This is more than you will need for a small cabinet incubator for heating element and fan and even a turner.

If you are building a small desktop incubator, you can go with 18 gauge, and lamp cord will be fine. You can also salvage this from a cheap 2 wire extension cord. This is rated to 2.3A, or 276 watts total load.

Never load up to the maximum load or you will risk a fire.

So if I cut some of the length off the extension cord I bought I could use that?

I had to put a little shallow box in the brooder today, when I woke up this morning they had kicked so many shavings in there waterer and they were just suckling all the water out and most of their shavings were soaked. Thankfully where they lay down at was still dry. So I put a shallow box, it's about 3/4 to 1 in tall, in there that's about 2/3 of the lenth of the brooder to hold all the shavings in and I put there food and water at the end of the brooder outside of the box, hopefully this will solve the shavings in the water issue
fl.gif
lol
I learned real early to elevate my water dishes to keep them somewhat clean. lol

I haven't shared any dinner details for a while. For those who are newer to the thread, I grow a lot of things and make a lot of food. Just an old fashioned farm, ya know?

Today's dinner is lasagna...with homemade pork sausage, homemade turkey egg lasagna noodles, home grown tomato sauce, homemade parmesan cheese, homemade mozzarella...

Yum.

Last edited:
I haven't shared any dinner details for a while. For those who are newer to the thread, I grow a lot of things and make a lot of food. Just an old fashioned farm, ya know?

Today's dinner is lasagna...with homemade pork sausage, homemade turkey egg lasagna noodles, home grown tomato sauce, homemade parmesan cheese, homemade mozzarella...

Yum.

OMG that looks DELICIOUS! I wish we lived closer
smile.png

Yum.

How 'bout emailing me some? Sounds great!

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J3ZIVK?keywords=premiere%201%20water%20nipple&qid=1445881662&ref_=sr_1_sc_1&sr=8-1-spell

415V0EuCLnL._SY450_.jpg

Chicks pick up using it very quickly.

When they are bigger I move to:

41BypEQH3bL.jpg

Since moving to these, I have not had to treat for coccidiosis

Do they get coccidiosis from poop in their water?

@Pyxis
- you seem to be having a rough time lately. I'm sending good vibes your way. Sorry to hear about your broody and I hope Pepper heals up. :fl

This weekend we finished up the bachelor pad for our new rooster, Monty. His full name is Ricardo Montalbawk- my husband named him.  He is our first Polish and he is so mild. :love    I don't think he's a standard color as he's like a backwards gold laced. Mostly black with tips of gold. His neck is black/gold combo. I'm sure he's no where near SOP but he's beautiful to us. I think he is rather lonely and needs some company so we are trying to decide which of our girls should be with him to make the most fun babies to hatch. :jumpy  How long should he really be in quarantine? I get conflicting info from the interwebs.

I'd love to see a pic of him! I haven't had to quarantine yet, but I've read, here on byc, that it's 30 days. I think after week 2, you pick one from your flock as a test buddy. And you put that one in with him, over the last two weeks look for any signs of illness in the buddy from your flock that you put in with him.

Back
Top Bottom