She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

That is perfect!! Yes, please do! :)

Okay! Sorry to bother but another question. A couple eggs started to pip externally about two days ago and still have made little to no progress. I still see movement and hear chirping but I am starting to get worried. It even looks like one has begun to try and break a different part of the shell. Should I help?

Okay! Sorry to bother but another question. A couple eggs started to pip externally about two days ago and still have made little to no progress. I still see movement and hear chirping but I am starting to get worried. It even looks like one has begun to try and break a different part of the shell. Should I help?

The one that is breaking a different part of the shell is trying to zip. Since its been 2 hours since the post I would defintly help that oneid it had not got a good line going.If it is stuck to membrane as it comes out then you other is likely stuck and needing help also.

My cemani boys are out of quarantine! And I may have to move my WH drakes. I planned to split them out of the cemani coop anyway as soon as I get my poultry settled wherever it is they're going to end up after my move but I might have to do it early because they are harrassing the cockerels and quite possibly keeping them from mating. I've only seen them staying up on the roost to stay away from the drakes and not down mingling with the hens. If the drakes aren't done bugging them by tomorrow they're getting moved.

The one that is breaking a different part of the shell is trying to zip. Since its been 2 hours since the post I would defintly help that oneid it had not got a good line going.If it is stuck to membrane as it comes out then you other is likely stuck and needing help also.

Okay! I ended up helping four which seemed to be good. It was relatively easy except I think one or two might be "shrink wrapped?" Can I still save them? And if so how?
Also is there a limit to how much I should help them because I honestly feel like I could hatch them completely out. I am going to be pretty annoying with all these questions I know and I'm sorry!

Okay! I ended up helping four which seemed to be good. It was relatively easy except I think one or two might be "shrink wrapped?" Can I still save them? And if so how?
Also is there a limit to how much I should help them because I honestly feel like I could hatch them completely out. I am going to be pretty annoying with all these questions I know and I'm sorry!

pictures would help a LOT. But if you've picked open the shell and through the white membrane, and you see a second white membrane instead of a transparent one wrapped around the baby, then yes you may need to help a bit more. Be absolutely sure that you don't see any blood vessels before you start. Opening one too early usually results in death.

Working in a very warm place with a warm moist towel handy, open up the hole a little so you can see the beak. You should not see any blood vessels here; by the time it's pipped, they should be down around shoulder level. Pick the shell and membrane around the egg just as the baby would, stopping if you see any blood vessels. If you see blood vessels, moisten the membrane with warm water (I like a light vegetable oil, like canola) to keep it moist and flexible. Then put the baby back in and let it try to hatch on its own when it's ready. The fight is good for it.

If you don't see blood vessels, and if the membrane is tightly wrapped and dry looking, moisten the membrane and peel it back gently, moistening as you go to help loosen it from the down. Avoid peeling the shell of the baby like a hard boiled egg, you can't reverse easily if you go too far and hit a bleeder. Don't let the little one chill, and once you get it loosened up from any sticky membrane, put it back in the incubator and let it try to hatch.

pictures would help a LOT.  But if you've picked open the shell and through the white membrane, and you see a second white membrane instead of a transparent one wrapped around the baby, then yes you may need to help a bit more.  Be absolutely sure that you don't see any blood vessels before you start.  Opening one too early usually results in death.

Working in a very warm place with a warm moist towel handy, open up the hole a little so you can see the beak.  You should not see any blood vessels here; by the time it's pipped, they should be down around shoulder level.  Pick the shell and membrane around the egg just as the baby would, stopping if you see any blood vessels.  If you see blood vessels, moisten the membrane with warm water (I like a light vegetable oil, like canola) to keep it moist and flexible.  Then put the baby back in and let it try to hatch on its own when it's ready.  The fight is good for it.

If you don't see blood vessels, and if the membrane is tightly wrapped and dry looking, moisten the membrane and peel it back gently, moistening as you go to help loosen it from the down.  Avoid peeling the shell of the baby like a hard boiled egg, you can't reverse easily if you go too far and hit a bleeder.  Don't let the little one chill, and once you get it loosened up from any sticky membrane, put it back in the incubator and let it try to hatch.

Oh thank you so much. I can see the beak of the one I'm most concerned about and I will attach a picture.

Its hard to see so i doubt this will help:/

Also egg #6 hatched as I was typing this!

Its hard to see so i doubt this will help:/

Also egg #6 hatched as I was typing this!

How long has it been since they pipped? Ducks are very, very slow hatchers sometimes so just be sure before you help that everything is absorbed. You could start to help them out if you are concermed they are stuck but stop at the first sign of blood. If you get them out and it turns out the yolk hasn't been fully absorbed, you'll need to do something like this:

Put the baby back in its shell and wrap the shell with moist paper towels. Cut the corner out of a ziploc bag and put the duckling in its shell in the bag and pull its head through the corner you cut off. Then seal the bag. This keeps everything very moist and makes it so the duckling can't pull away from the yolk and out of the shell before it is absorbed. There's also another method like this that you can do using a cup but I've never tried that. Hopefully this won't be necessary but it's good to know just in case.

Both of those look really dry to me.  Caveat, I am not experienced at hatching ducks.  Turkeys and chickens, yes.

Yes they are all very dry I got a cheap incubator that did a bad job at keeping it humid I think:( luckily #6 hatched about 30 minutes after I helped! He is now wrecking havoc in the incubator! :) I think I will help them even more as it really seemed to help.

Back
Top Bottom