She turned on me šŸ˜©

My pullets used to attack my ankles, but not so much as they have grown. I have been chalking it up to curiosity. I hear attacked by one of my roosters tonight, however. I picked up a hen and she squawked terrible. After that my rooster attacked me twice. Was he just being protective? All my birds are young 4-5 months old.
Yes, that is what I would think as the hen you picked up seemingly squawked for help.

You could try again and pick up a hen you now would not squawk. He should not attack you then.

Having chickens is not for the timid. I have had hens to peck at freckles beginning in my youth, to moles, age spots and skin tags as I have gotten older. And they seem to be more likely to do it when they are being fed. And just like people, some chickens are just plain ornery.

Having chickens is not for the timid. I have had hens to peck at freckles beginning in my youth, to moles, age spots and skin tags as I have gotten older. And they seem to be more likely to do it when they are being fed. And just like people, some chickens are just plain ornery.
Iā€™ve been pecked and that didnā€™t bother me, itā€™s what she was doing while she was pecking I guess. She didnā€™t just walk up to me and peck at my leg, she took a few steps back flew at me going for my leg, I screeched, said some words. All the while she was backing up towards the wall in the coop and then she did it again! Flew at me trying to get my leg!

Iā€™m sorry this is happening. The speckled Sussex are actually my most friendly breed! I only have one right now, but she never runs away or even flinches when you touch her or go to pick her up. She comes up to you to say hi and loves attention. Iā€™m surprised that this is happening. I donā€™t want her to injure you anymore so Iā€™m sure we will all do our best to help with this. Post a video of her when you can, I hope we can solve this easily for you!
Thatā€™s why I picked them! Cold hardy and docile. And usually they are, they all come running when they hear me and are always around. Thereā€™s a video posted of her I believe on page 2!

Iā€™ve been pecked and that didnā€™t bother me, itā€™s what she was doing while she was pecking I guess. She didnā€™t just walk up to me and peck at my leg, she took a few steps back flew at me going for my leg, I screeched, said some words. All the while she was backing up towards the wall in the coop and then she did it again! Flew at me trying to get my leg!
Sounds like a pecking order situation and she thinks she is above you in it.

I had a hen go bad on me. She started biting at treat time as a young pullet. Eventually she would bite when I got near the other hens, hard enough to draw blood. She eventually got quite aggressive with the rest of the flock ripping combs, biting and ripping out feathers, flogging them. I had put her down for the good of the flock. Hard to do, but it had to be done. She was a great layer too!

Seems to me this is your alpha hen, top of the pecking order and she is trying to put you below her in the order. If you screech and back away when she does this, it makes her higher in dominance and you lower. You will have to dominate her, be pushy and crowd her, stare at her fixedly and don't look away until she does, put your hands on your hips, elbows out (mimics fluffing up feathers). Talk loudly and walk towards her. Peck her first and don't let her get away with pecking you. In the chicken world, one either dominates or submits to domination, there aren't any other choices. Since she's a young hen she has probably spent the last few months learning how to dominate her flock mates. Now it's your turn.

Thatā€™s why I picked them! Cold hardy and docile. And usually they are, they all come running when they hear me and are always around. Thereā€™s a video posted of her I believe on page 2!
Ok, I was in a rush last night so I didnā€™t read through the thread Iā€™ll look at it :oops:

Back
Top Bottom