She turned on me šŸ˜©

Pics
Any animal will get pushy and nippy if hand fed. Dogs, ponys, animals in animal parks.
Not my dog! I can give her a juicy steak bone and allow her to lick it,
Chew on it for 22 min. Or more and When I stay "Leave it!", She drops it and I pick it up and save it for later.
I did that advanced obedience training with our mini 8 lb dachshund and now my "King Shepard" aka a long hair plush German Shepard.
Humans are the Alpha in this house.

She's trying to prove her dominance. You know, top hen and all that. But you have to prove to her that you are the top hen, in the coop. If she attacks you stand your ground and thump her one, one the head, or butt. What ever works. Im not talking abuse here, just a quick lil' swat . If she gets rougher, then so do you. Basically, teach her whose boss!!!

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m having to type this, one of my girls just came at me, twice. She had done the same thing a few days ago, but I chalked it up to her trying to grab the treat out of my hand. Today I was standing in the coop tossing scratch out in their run.

I donā€™t know if this matters, but I was actually wearing the same pants during both cases, the pants are capris so my ankles/lower legs are exposed.

The only changes have been the weather and Iā€™m not spending my entire day outside with them. I have three 30 week old Speckled Sussex. The one that pecked me is the largest and before the shorter days she was the only one laying, but has stopped with the shorter days.

What do I do?! Help!! I know to stand my ground, tried that and got attacked again. Just keep at it?

photo of ā€œinjuryā€ šŸ¤Ŗ
My girls are hand fed also. They come running when they see any container in my hand.They even jump 3 feet high to be the first to get at the goodies. I too wore capris. Any freckle or speck on my legs they think was something to eat. I had a scab pecked off once. Ouch! So peck they tried. They would also peck at clothes like sweats. Thinking maybe there was lint on them. Embroidery, colors and shiny things were also pecked at. I would just brush the hens back. My thoughts are, since they relate to me as the caretaker, that brings goodies, everything is fair game in their eyes.

Not my dog! I can give her a juicy steak bone and allow her to lick it,
Chew on it for 22 min. Or more and When I stay "Leave it!", She drops it and I pick it up and save it for later.
I did that advanced obedience training with our mini 8 lb dachshund and now my "King Shepard" aka a long hair plush German Shepard.
Humans are the Alpha in this house.
I agree it's all in the training. I have 12 chickens multiple breeds super excited to be hand fed meal worms everyday. None ever attack or nip, they wait their turn as I call their names to get their handful of worms, one chicken at a time. With patience, consistency and love all animals can be trained.

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m having to type this, one of my girls just came at me, twice. She had done the same thing a few days ago, but I chalked it up to her trying to grab the treat out of my hand. Today I was standing in the coop tossing scratch out in their run.

I donā€™t know if this matters, but I was actually wearing the same pants during both cases, the pants are capris so my ankles/lower legs are exposed.

The only changes have been the weather and Iā€™m not spending my entire day outside with them. I have three 30 week old Speckled Sussex. The one that pecked me is the largest and before the shorter days she was the only one laying, but has stopped with the shorter days.

What do I do?! Help!! I know to stand my ground, tried that and got attacked again. Just keep at it?

photo of ā€œinjuryā€ šŸ¤Ŗ

dhe is trying to assert dominance over you snd its time to show her whoā€™s boss!
Snatch her up by the feet and hang her upside FB ow until she stills. About 1 min or so, usually. Then flip her on her Bach and stroke her breast, legs, neck for a few minutes and head. Finally, flip hey over and carry her around on your hip, pinned with your arm over her wing and with her feet dangling down. Stroke her head and neck as Nd talk to her. Then release her calmly allowing her to walk away from you.

My orp is doing much better after some changes-I keep her at a distance when delivering the scrap bucket in the morning by pointing at her and keeping eye contact as she follows. If she even looks likes she is going to get sassy I put my hand on her back or pick her up. I also have stopped doing anything resembling hand feeding, only tossing treats away for them to chase down(which is great free entertainment anyway!). She hasnā€™t pecked me in a couple weeks, only grumped a bit. Last night I had to stick my hand in the coop after they went to bed to move something, and for the first time she didnā€™t go after my hand. Just be vigilant and remember that they are awesome little raptors, but in the end they would eat you with no hesitation if you passed out in the chicken yard. LOL

Back
Top Bottom