She won't come out of the nest!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhawkou812, Sep 28, 2009.

1. redhawkou812

redhawkou812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Joelton, TN
    I've been recoopin' from surgery & the DSW has been tending the girls full time. Yesterday afternoon she told me that a leghorn got on the nest late in the day. Two eggs short so thought not much of it. She was still on the nest after lites out & still there this morning. The lh was a bit squawky, so the wife didn't venture to look under her to see what was going on. She thought this lh might be the one that's been laying the ex-ex-large eggs & had one stuck. Anyway, I went down this morning, & she's still there on the nest. But I reach under her & she's laying on one large white egg & one brown egg. I can't really feel anything lodged in her, but I do see that she's lost all her lower breast feathers. So...is she egg plugged, gone broody, or molting? Please don't tell me all of the above! [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like a broody.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Yep, sounds like a broody. They pluck their chest feathers out to get their skin next to the eggs to keep them warm. Unusual for a leghorn to go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by