She WON'T use the nesting box

LeastinID

Chirping
Apr 12, 2022
We got 6 chicks in May. Two of them turned out to be roos - we kept 1 and re-homed the other.
We got our first egg on Thursday!
Unfortunately, Sunny chose to lay her egg on a pile of temporary fencing in one of our storage sheds.
Today she's frantically trying to get in that shed.
We have 3 (so far) unused nesting boxes in the coop.
We've carried her into the coop, placed some of that fencing in a nesting box and, while she seems to be interested in that box, she soon comes outside.
WHAT DO WE DO!

================ update ======================

Not 10 minutes after I posted the above, there was much noise from the coop - followed by a lengthy rendition of the The Egg Song with accompaniment by the other girls and their roo!
Egg #2 was NOT laid in a nest box. Sunny scraped away the pine shavings, pulled out the fencing material that was in a nest box, laid that material in front of her "nest" and proceeded to lay Egg #2.
At least she was near a nest box.
Baby steps.

Last edited:
I had a 2 yr old Cream Legbar recently decide to lay her egg in the run after laying in the nest boxes all this time. I cleaned out the nest boxes to be sure there were no insects or anything and I saw nothing. So I put 2 golf balls in there and she started laying in the nest again. Silly girl!

Add the fake eggs or golf balls. It usually does the trick!

I think the location of the nest box and how the nest box looks is also important. Mine were laying on the floor which is not what I wanted, I put curtains up on the nest box and put some fake eggs in there to guide them, they seem to like having privacy when laying (think it’s for predators and stuff) so I’d definitely try that if you still have this issue

Back
Top Bottom