Shed conversion coop

brennant

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Tacoma WA
I have a decent size shed on a cement foundation that I converted a part of the shed to a coop. So far, the walls and roosts are in. Next comes finishing the run (top and fortifying the sides of the fence) so the girls can have some free time unsupervised (and safe!).

Here is the exterior front the of the coop

DSC_0210.jpg

Inside the coop (no nest boxes yet, or door to the run... that is coming)

DSC_0218.jpg

The girls inspecting the new run fence and gate...

DSC_0217.jpg

Need to spend some time finishing the run... the girls are 8 weeks old, so they are getting pretty excited to be out doors.

You should have 4 sq ft per bird, min. I would do something with the run. Looks like anything could get into it. Trees so close great way for coons to enter pen area. kCan predator dig his way in to pen? Ventilation? Great to have storage right where coop is for food, litter, etc.

The vents are at the top of the coop, which you can't see in the pic. (You are looking north and the vents are facing east to reduce draft issues) The coop is 24 sq. ft. and I have 4 birds. The run will be protected with a framed roof/top with hardware cloth. I am also adding a covered area as well to keep them out of the elements if they choose to be outside.

We have plenty of coons here. The chickens will not be out at night and are pretty well protected in the coop.

hat's very nice, I would put a desk and a computer on the other side of the coop and make it my office, it works great when my wife kick me out
lol.png

I was thinking that little wall should be movable, so when you "accidentally" get more birds they'll still fit.
tongue.png

Quote:
big_smile.png
It's all screwed in, not nailed!

Now with daylight savings, getting anything done after work is tough! I just had enough time to fix the gate, and set up the temporary roof to keep them dry outside. <sigh>

More pics to come!

DSC_0216.jpg

bok bok!

Back
Top Bottom