Shed coop ventilation

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I’ve attached pics of the shed we are going to use as the coop. It is 12 ft wide & 8 ft deep. The windows are 1.5x3, and will be covered with hardware cloth. We put some 2 inch holes in the top as you can see in the pic. Then we are removing the vent pieces at the top & just putting hardware cloth in that space. Also going to put 1 inch holes along the outside part under where the roof is in the front & the back. (See where they are marked in the pic). Any other places we should add insulation? Thanks so much for your help. I know there should be 1 sq ft for each bird, 1 linear foot of roost, & 4 sq ft per bird, but figuring out what that means in ventilation has me baffled. I am in NY & it gets very cold here so I didn’t want to have huge open areas of wind gusting in when it’s zero degrees! We are also going to get a screen to put over one side of the human door in the front so in the summer when it’s hot we can open that door if needed for extra summer coolness.

Attachments

• BB2F8471-055C-4539-9CEA-1D7879C3D103.jpeg
    BB2F8471-055C-4539-9CEA-1D7879C3D103.jpeg
    773.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2EC8659D-829F-4CE2-B1F3-8A098CE6E34F.jpeg
    2EC8659D-829F-4CE2-B1F3-8A098CE6E34F.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DB19688B-C35F-482E-B27E-B7711DF91296.jpeg
    DB19688B-C35F-482E-B27E-B7711DF91296.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 27
Instead of drilling holes under that overhang fully remove the board. You will need to add hardware cloth but it's more effective ventilation and is already protected from blowing rain.

Pics of the inside end wall please.
We may suggest making big vents there and adding an awning to keep the rain out. Openings not under a soffit/roof overhang need protection from weather.

You still need 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen even in the winter to remove moisture and prevent frostbite

The thing is to put it up at the top, above the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roof.

Pulling out the entire soffit board and replacing it with hardware cloth then expanding those little gable vents should do the trick.

@aart has good photos of soffit vents.

When I get home I can post a photo of summer and winter ventilation.

Instead of drilling holes under that overhang fully remove the board. You will need to add hardware cloth but it's more effective ventilation and is already protected from blowing rain.
that’s a great idea.

From the other post there are 24 chicks
We are actually keeping them in separate coops. A neighbor is giving us an old 6x8 one they aren’t using anymore. We may add more next year but this year it will just be the 15.

You still need 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen even in the winter to remove moisture and prevent frostbite

The thing is to put it up at the top, above the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roof.

Pulling out the entire soffit board and replacing it with hardware cloth then expanding those little gable vents should do the trick.

@aart has good photos of soffit vents.

When I get home I can post a photo of summer and winter ventilation.
Pictures would be very helpful thank you! I’ll check out aarts posts as well.

that’s a great idea.

We are actually keeping them in separate coops. A neighbor is giving us an old 6x8 one they aren’t using anymore. We may add more next year but this year it will just be the 15.

We may suggest making big vents there and adding an awning to keep the rain out. Openings not under a soffit/roof overhang need protection from weather.

I have a pic of the front, the back (with yellow writing on it), and one side (with the drilled holes. The opposite side is identical.

Back
Top Bottom