1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shed for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tadpole98, Feb 28, 2013.

1. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Hows this one?
    problem is, its metal. Which would get very hot in the summer. So I would install LOTS of windows and vents for ventilation. Whats your opinion on it? should I buy or wait for something else to come along? I could house 20 ducks in there.. [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think sheds can be a great coop idea but I'm not sure how hard it would be to install lots of ventilation on it without damaging the structure.

3. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    your right, and after thinking about it, why is it so cheap? its kinda making me nervous. Something is probably wrong with it.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't honestly see that as cheap. I find similar models brand new around here for around 300 directly from the store. I see storage sheds on craigslist locally all the time for around 100.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I"ll be honest and say i wouldn't use a metal structure, i am sure this is where someone will step in and say they do lol but generally you want breathable materials for buildings that house livestock...

For here between our wind, constant changing temperatures, metal would be a nightmare no matter how well you attempted to vent it.

Any sources for recycled wood? that is a way to cut cost, we cut our window costs by using antique.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, I would avoid a metal structure since for living things one wants to mitigate swings in temperature, and metal's not so good for that.

I have seen some neat sheds made from pallets. If you are looking for pre-made, pallets aren't the answer, eh?

Hmmmm. I like the dimensions of it, but for all the effort to retrofit it to try to make it work, you might consider building one from pallets...

7. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    you all have very good points. we are going to build ours out of sheathing and siding and better building materials. Im not one for a pallet made structure. it would take alot more time to build it most likely. and we dont know where to get pallets. [​IMG]

8. jdyson

jdyson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Look on Craigslist for pallets. People give the, away all the time. My coop is made out of pallets and plywood and it didn't take long at all. :)

9. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I never thought of that, will do!

10. jdyson

jdyson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    When I figure out how to post pictures I will be more than happy to post one. I also have a little condo coop made out of an engine crate. It's really cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by