Shed to coop conversion!

Morrison1020

Chirping
May 11, 2020
Thompson CT
I'm super excited, my husband has decided that it would be ok to convert an old 10x12 run down shed into my next coop. It already has electricity running to it but needs a lot of help to the exterior. New siding, roof, needs ventilation and windows. in the interior we will be putting in new floors making a roosting ladder with poop board and a brooder/chicken jail. We would also like to put the nesting boxes inside the coop to keep it dryer....it has been a problem with my old coop. I've read a lot of great suggestions on this site to help us get started.

Attachments

• old shed 2.jpg
    old shed 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 28
  • new coop supplies.jpg
    new coop supplies.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 23
  • bob the builder.jpg
    bob the builder.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 22
  • new shed1.jpg
    new shed1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 24
I'm super excited, my husband has decided that it would be ok to convert an old 10x12 run down shed into my next coop. It already has electricity running to it but needs a lot of help to the exterior. New siding, roof, needs ventilation and windows. in the interior we will be putting in new floors making a roosting ladder with poop board and a brooder/chicken jail. We would also like to put the nesting boxes inside the coop to keep it dryer....it has been a problem with my old coop. I've read a lot of great suggestions on this site to help us get started.
How exciting! :ya I wish I had a shed like that to convert, or that we had built bigger but we make do. I am sure your chickens will LOVE their new palace once y'all get it finished. :love

How exciting! :ya I wish I had a shed like that to convert, or that we had built bigger but we make do. I am sure your chickens will LOVE their new palace once y'all get it finished. :love
Thank you, I wish it was done yesterday haha. I only have 2 girls from my original flock left I had gotten 4 sizzles that are in the brooder now and another 15 different breeds due to come in on June 23rd. we absolutely needed to go bigger. Our current coop is about a 4x6 with a 20 foot run.

Thank you, I wish it was done yesterday haha. I only have 2 girls from my original flock left I had gotten 4 sizzles that are in the brooder now and another 15 different breeds due to come in on June 23rd. we absolutely needed to go bigger. Our current coop is about a 4x6 with a 20 foot run.
Oh so many fluff butts! Sizzles are so stinking cute! Sounds like you will have a colorful variety of so many wonderful birds! :love

Well looks like it may take longer than we thought, after replacing the roof plywood and replacing the side panels we ran into a dilemma.
The joists holding the front and back panels up just hang on the panels them selves no frame work... weird so we will have to find a say to frame it in we can’t find the same joist hangers. Then the floor is a little sketchy we are going to have to replace the floor I’m scared to see what’s underneath there lol 😂 my hubby was saying we may have to lift the thing to replace the floor I don’t know, I’m beginning to think we should have just bought another shed.... I have someone coming this weekend to give us ideas on how we can replace the floor and front and back panels...wish us luck any suggestions welcome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg