1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sheep for milk????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss_thenorth, Oct 14, 2009.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Okay, I really really really want a milk critter to add to out farm. I only have three acres, so a cow is out of the question--even a dexter. I have two horses who use up most of the land.

I tried goats before, had them briefly because our set up was not goat proof. I would get goats gain, but hubby is not really fond of them. (last time I had nubian, if I got them again, I would get nigerians)

But, now I'm starting to think about sheep. There are a few breeds that are milkers. Sheep would be better on my property, as most of it is lawn and pasture. Sheep are not escape artists like goats are.

Does anyone milk sheep? What are temperaments like, do they need to have a buddy like goats? do they have one or two (or three) babies at a time?

Does anyone have first hand experience, as opposed to my just reading websites?

TIA

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I would suggest backyardherds.com. Maybe someone on there has some. I would think since sheep are a herd animal that they would need a buddy.

3. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    i dunno about the milk, but we eat this yogurt almost exclusively:
    http://www.blacksheepcheese.com/

the farm is a long bike ride away from our house. we like buying local!

good luck to you!

4. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:The sheep section at BYH is pretty slow, I figured I would get more hits here. [​IMG]

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Sheep can be used for milk. That's where roquefort and bleu cheeses come from.

I would like to get sheep but we have the opposite--forest instead of pasture.

I used to buy sheep cheese from a place in Tecumseh, MI. You can order it online (they make some cheese themselves and import others.) The woman there may be able to give you some ideas for sheep cheese.

www.boulevardmarket.com

6. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Quote:Wow thats really neat, I would love to own something like that.

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I dont care for sheep milk, there is a taste I cant get past. but thats me.
    Sheep are evil calculating little plotters lol.
    I had one who would lay there innocently untill I would get to her feed bin, then jump up and try to knock me down.
    needless to say she was a right smart brat.
    Sheep dont escape?
    um thats not true, been there, chased a good many down the road that decided the neighbors grass was better than what they had in their field.
    fun is trying to catch a smarty pants 12 week old who figure out he could go over the sheep fence.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  8. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I have been looking for similar info on different forums for quite a while. No one seems to know what is a good sheep for decent milk on not a lot of land. There are no sheep based forums either. It's like people qho have sheep, don't talk about sheep. On the internet anyway. Or they probably just have huge herds of them. And I doubt many people in this country milk them. Dairy goats seem to be catching on more and more here though. Hopefulyl dairy sheep are not far behind. I do have nigerians for milk but would also like to try dairy sheep. I think the milk is much better for cheese or dairy products than just drinking straight.

My only conclusions were to buy a couple icelandic or east friesian ewes, or one of each to tell which is the better milker or really if the icelandic is worth milking . Then I would also have to keep a ram too. Which would require more space.

9. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:I hear ya. The info I can gather say east friesian, iclandics are supposed to be the do-all--wool, meat and milk. Ther is polypay, and they even say dorset can be quite good. I know dorsets are quite popular around here. I still haven't made up my mind. for me, I really want cheese and yogurt. I don't drink milk, but my kids do. they are looking forward to having our own milk. My son wants goats, my dd is kinda excited to get a sheep.

But as you said, not many people talk about it, or do it--milk sheep that is.

Looking on kijiji this morning, I found two dexter heifers an hour from here for $500 each. I really wish I had more land., then my problem would be solved.

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I know there's a type of small sheep called "Babydoll sheep". Hobby Farms magazine's web site has a section on heritage breeds w/ small sheep breeds on there. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by