Sheep ?s

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mylilchix, Oct 10, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We're thinking about getting sheep, and I was wondering if there is a breed that is good for milk and meat?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Look up Dorper Sheep. Thats what I am looking into. Great breed! No shearing!

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:I think Friesians are the dairy sheep of choice, but when I looked at pics of the Dorpers, I was real impressed with the size of their udders and the info provided says they have a real high milk fat %.

I'm getting a Dorper ewe in the spring myself, for this very reason. I really like the sound of the breed and hope to make a little cheese on occasion, as well as raise some lambs for market. Also make a good lawn mower for my orchard! [​IMG]

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Getting Shetland lambs this Spring:D Going to be spinning wool into yarn, they'll mow down the grass, & keep the chicken's warm w/the extra body heat in the biggest barn in the winter.

5. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the help everyone! Is there a site that tells the fat content in sheep milk? Dh wants the sheep for meat and I want them for milk. We need to find a happy medium.

Sonja

6. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    If you want some for meat and wool Look up Suffolk They are pretty cool

7. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    I raise Dorpers, like 'em a lot.

1 person likes this.
  8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:Tell us more, UC? Are they docile, hardy, good mothers, easy keepers, nonselective grazers like they say on the sites? Think they can be used for a dual purpose like dairy as well as meat?

9. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Docile, VERY easy keepers, very hardy, good mother's, and nonselective grazers, all true. I know they got good meat on 'em, but I aint never milked one or drunk any... I'll try it sometime and tell ya what I think! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by