Sheet Metal Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mammachick, Nov 10, 2009.

1. mammachick

mammachick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    Has anyone ever done a sheet metal floor for the inside of the coop? Can you think of any reasons pertaining to the chicken not to?

Thanks

2. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Might be kinda slippery, especially for little chicks. And, cold in the winter depending on where you're located.

3. mammachick

mammachick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    We are in CA. Winter lows around 45 and Summer Highs 100. If it had a layer of Hay or Shavings would that make any difference?

4. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    It will help to have hay or shavings but they will scratch right down to the bare metal. On the plus side the metal should be real easy to clean.

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    We have it in our quail pens and our nestboxes. They do get right down to the metal, but it doesn't matter to them, I've noticed.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of metal did you intend to use?
    Stainless steel would be ideal but very expensive;
    galvanized metals react to water and various additives...some metals are designed to developed to coat themselves as corrosion occurs...

Of course you have the option of using various metal paints before installation.
    Will you be using deep litter method? In which case you should never use metal because of the chemical reactions that occur between the alkalai in the manure and the positive ions in the metal.

A very good question with a complicated answer!!! [​IMG]

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I put 1/16 inch sheet metal (non-galvanized) over the apitong flooring in my truck body coop. I then etched, primed, and painted the floor. I then installed vinyl over the floor rolling it up the walls 14". To finish it off, I then put 12" of pine shavings on top of the vinyl.

Marty

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Marty- nicely done, and superb predator protection! [​IMG]

9. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have expanded sheet metal as the floor in my one wire-floored coop (used for chicks that aren't quite ready to be with the big kids!). It's welded to the metal frame. Super super super easy to clean.

I can't use it in the winter though, it would freeze their feet! [​IMG]

10. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Just as mentioned....might be colder than wood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by