shelf or roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ricks Chicks, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Ricks Chicks

Ricks Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 shelves and 2 roost's in my coop. the girls don't use the roost's at all should I remove the top shelf (which they like the best) and make it a roost? or just leave it as is and let them be on the shelf.[​IMG]

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I guess it depends on how much poo-cleaning you want to do? [​IMG]

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Unless you have a specific reason for not wanting them to roost on the shelves I don't see how it matters. My Silkies like to roost on my shelves but the rest of mine use the roosts.

You just don't want them roosting in the nest boxes.

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I have both. The roost is over the shelf and I use the shelf as a dropping board. My girls sleep on both at night. I just make sure the shelf is cleaned before bedtime so they won't sleep in poo. I think the shelf comes in handy in the winter so they can double up, snuggle and stay warm. It's a personal preference. It works out great for me. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I too have a roost over a shelf, and they all huddle on the roost at night - including the rooster. Then again, he does think the rabbit is a chicken [​IMG]

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    [​IMG] That just put a vision in my head! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by