Shell Gland, Heat, Diet? Egg Shell Issues

Araucana Nest

FreeBird
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
An 8 month Araucana pullet that started laying last month. and stopped because she went broody was laying eggs with clusters of bumps and thin egg shells sometimes paper thin but most times they look and feel the same as other eggs but upon cracking them observed they were thinner. Never shell-less. She is the only one doing this.

I’ve read of potential causes but one person mentioned damaged shell gland. She did have a bad injury to her thigh several Months ago before she started laying. It is also very hot and I have had feed issues three times in the past couple of months and changed feed stores. I don’t think she is stressed but they are not free ranging as often as they used to before they started to lay.

I changed to pellet instead of crumble; same brand but possibly different factory and once a different brand when their feed was out. I feed Purina Layena to my laying hens. I had to buy Nutrena layer pellets last month but she was already laying these eggs. Ordinarily I feed Purina Layena Layer Crumble and had tried Purina Flock Raiser crumbles but had shell issues with everybody who wasn't eating the oyster shell on the side. I don’t feed commercial treats but offer veggie scraps and sunflower seeds especially in the heat since they eat less in the summer. Not enough of either to make a significant difference in their nutrition.

I’m also thinking it could be a calcium absorption problem due to my high alkaline well water which caused mineral absorption issues in my goat herd but again, this is just one bird.
Any ideas, advice? Thanks for reading. 🙏

Last edited:
I've had the weak shell issue in young layers and it has always resolved itself. You can't go wrong with more calcium. I feed them scrambled eggs when I have too many. I live in fl which has high calcium in water via my well so can't speak to your water. What state are you in?

I've had the weak shell issue in young layers and it has always resolved itself. You can't go wrong with more calcium. I feed them scrambled eggs when I have too many. I live in fl which has high calcium in water via my well so can't speak to your water. What state are you in?
Thank you. I’m in north Florida on well water. The water has been tested and I have a water softener. It’s very high alkaline but hasn’t seemed to affect the other hens.

Back
Top Bottom