Shell-less egg should I be worried?

Chicken101-07

Songster
Aug 18, 2019
One of my hens laid a shell less egg today or two or I'm not sure if one part of it came out first and 15 minutes later the other part decided to come out,but it definitely looked like it was two since yolk seemed to be complete in both,the first picture is the first one that was laid,I'm not sure if it came with or without shell because my pullet and cockerels were looking at it with curiosity,at first I thought it had been my pullet which is 5 months old but 15 minutes later my hen laid another piece of shell less egg,is it possible for a hen to lay 2 eggs the same day?my guess is that she tried to lay one but somehow both did not have shell.should I be worried about this?I have 4 more hens that I feed them the same thing,Organic Egg layer purina with cracked corn and they are laying perfect eggs.The same hen laid a brown egg two days ago,she does not lay every day as she still young,I did try to feed them oyster shell,they didn't like it wouldn't eat it.also when can I expect my pullet to start laying?she is five months old.thanks for all the tips,have a good day.
20190923_191407.jpg
20190923_195010.jpg

Sounds like she's a new layer, and it takes a couple days for all the plumbing to work properly. I wouldn't be too concerned yet, sounds like you're providing what she needs to be a successful layer.

As for your pullet that's not laying yet, I imagine it will be soon! What breeds do you keep?

Sounds like she's a new layer, and it takes a couple days for all the plumbing to work properly. I wouldn't be too concerned yet, sounds like you're providing what she needs to be a successful layer.

As for your pullet that's not laying yet, I imagine it will be soon! What breeds do you keep?
well I'm not sure anymore lol,my hens are pure freisian but my rooster is mixed according to the people in this forums.

This happens for young layers as stated above. She will get the hang of it soon. As for oyster chills they will eat it as needed. It should be in a separate container and offered as a free choice. It see if the other pullet is close to laying try to pet or pick it up. If she squats she is close.

Hi, from what I know when a hen lays shell-less eggs its usually a sign that she lacks calcium in her feed. Try feeding her with kales, cabbages or buy calcium from an agrovet coz layer feeds rarely have sufficient calcium content. That will help hardenning her egg's shell.

it can actually take a new layer up to a month to get all the kinks worked out, mine have less issue having them on a feed for all flock and having the calcium on the side. if she doesn't like the OS she may not like it you can try crushing the egg shells that you have opened to cook and putting that out too. Some of mine won't eat OS out of a dish but if I toss it out on the ground like scratch grains they will eat it. Other items besides feed are considered treats and should be limited to no more than 10% if their feed or it can cause nutritional imbalances.

The small pullet,I read that when a pullet is about to begin laying,her comb starts getting more red but in my pullet its impossible because her comb is gray,will it get darker?
20190924_183431.jpg

The small pullet,I read that when a pullet is about to begin laying,her comb starts getting more red but in my pullet its impossible because her comb is gray,will it get darker?
Have dark skinned/combed birds as well, the combs will get red.
Do you know the breed or cross?

Have dark skinned/combed birds as well, the combs will get red.
Do you know the breed or cross?
my hens are pure blood freisian,the parents of the hens were full freisian too,my rooster is the one that's mix,his beak black and his comb is a little black at the really top.

Back
Top Bottom